Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Took 65 special to a car show Sunday scared the @#$% out of me headed home...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

Took 65 special to a car show Sunday scared the @#$% out of me headed home...

Imagine you followed your friend off the freeway, he is driving his just finished 56 Belair Vert, you both stop at the stop sign, he goes to get more gas to feed his very thirsty 427 roller cammed motor, you head on down the road toward home.

Turn on your turn signal, get in the turn lane for your road, press on the brakes, and the pedal goes to the floor and you have zero brakes fly straight on down the road to the next more sloping gental road toward home. Again go to turn left on a road that would get you home and still don't get the car wowed down enough to make the turn.

Finally got the car stopped with the e brake, which doesn't really work very well either by the way.

Limped her home in first gear using the e brake to stop at stop signs, which is a pain on the 65.

So......

Tips on what dual master cylinder I can add to the 65 so that doesn't happen again?

The rubber line from the body down to the rear end decided it was done, scared my lady and the kids pretty good.
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

RustyNCa that must got the old ticker pumping Glad to hear that you and the family got home safe and that you are able to identify the problem
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• joser's 60
      • Apr 12 2009

been there before on a 69 chevelle and 65 impala not fun at all. glad you were able to save the day and make it home safe.
      joser
      joser tbird registry # 33403

Comment

• Coral
        Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Thats a 'shorts changing experience' to be sure!

Comment

I've never had a master cyl. just go in one shot. Now neglect is enother story. I think 67 or 8 mustang dual cyl. will work. You'er going to have to rearrange the shock tower brace a little and get some brass tees and fittings but it will work. Glad you made it home safe and sound. I put stainless steel lines and all new hoses on my 60. THE 66 is next. (then the cougar? then the lincoln?) When does this STOP!!!!!!

Comment

• RustyNCa
            Super-Experienced
            • May 31 2007

Originally posted by tbirds8
            I've never had a master cyl. just go in one shot. Now neglect is enother story. I think 67 or 8 mustang dual cyl. will work. You'er going to have to rearrange the shock tower brace a little and get some brass tees and fittings but it will work. Glad you made it home safe and sound. I put stainless steel lines and all new hoses on my 60. THE 66 is next. (then the cougar? then the lincoln?) When does this STOP!!!!!!
            Yep, that is what we went with. We had to notch the shock tower brace and I had to get one tee. I should get a photo of it eh?

Drove her last night, she is now at the alignment shop getting aligned. Ended up while I was at it, replacing all the tie rod ends, shocks and lowered her just a touch more.

Here is a couple cell phone pics of her showing off the new stance.

Comment

• Coral
              Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Either it was cold or wet out when you took those pix or the cars' haunted...there seems to be a rather noticeable plume of discolored air near the exhaust in all those pix....

Comment

• fomoco59
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 10 2005

I just love those '65 Birds... looks great !
                ..and Rusty, looks like you could use a little grass seed... or is that the way Calif looks !
                sigpic
                Mike Lemmon
                '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• RustyNCa
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Coral

Either it was cold or wet out when you took those pix or the cars' haunted...there seems to be a rather noticeable plume of discolored air near the exhaust in all those pix....
                  We had a big rain storm over the night.... so damp yes.

QUOTE=fomoco59;32976]I just love those '65 Birds... looks great !
                  ..and Rusty, looks like you could use a little grass seed... or is that the way Calif looks ![/QUOTE]

Well, neither actually the car is parked in the back portion of the back yard. You are looking at the weeds that volunteer and I keep mowing them as low as possible, you can see in the background my boys 65 tBird sitting next to the boat that donated a motor for my Cutlass.

Here you can see the back of the house

Comment

• fomoco59
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 10 2005

Just teasin' ya.. I've never been to California, so just wonderin'...looks great.

I was in Tuscon, AZ once for a couple weeks on business...people spray-painted their stoney front yards green
                    Pretty brown down there..
                    Last edited by fomoco59; June 4, 2009, 01:21 PM. Reason: spelling
                    sigpic
                    Mike Lemmon
                    '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• RustyNCa
                      Super-Experienced
                      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by fomoco59
                      Just teasin' ya.. I've never been to California, so just wonderin'...looks great.

I was in Tuscon, AZ once for a couple weeks on business...people spray-painted their stoney front yards green
                      Yeah, I have seen were they spray paint lawns in Texas, Vegas, etc. green. It had been a long time here since any rain, and the weeds were still growing, how does that work? I keep hoping they will stop and just die.... kinda like my thoughts about my ex wife

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

RustyNCa she is looking grart and I always liked that colour. Dropping it that little bit, she now looks like a " low rider"
                        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                        Thunderbird Registry
                        58HT #33317
                        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Coral
                          Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Oh, Mike, I got some FANTASTIC pix of AZ and NV I will slap a few into a new album to share, I love it out there, can't wait to get out of IL.

Good deal on the dampness Rusty...I was worried...LOL
                          Say, isn't that a pug in the yard?

I had a link to a joint one can buy plants and ground cover seeds from, I will look for it again and share it, would be great for that area, you can choose the height of the cover, 2/3/4 inches, it multiplies and is perennial...so maybe yous won't have to be wasting petrol on weeds in a while!

BTW, sassy lil bird there!

Comment

• scumdog
                            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by fomoco59

Thinkin' of doin' it here in N.Z. - to cover the mud!!

Wet winters suck.
                            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                              Super-Experienced
                              • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Coral
                              Good deal on the dampness Rusty...I was worried...LOL
                              Say, isn't that a pug in the yard?

I had a link to a joint one can buy plants and ground cover seeds from, I will look for it again and share it, would be great for that area, you can choose the height of the cover, 2/3/4 inches, it multiplies and is perennial...so maybe yous won't have to be wasting petrol on weeds in a while!

BTW, sassy lil bird there!
                              Yep, that is a pug, it's the fiancee's dog, thing's a character, snores louder than any grandpa you will ever meet, it's really a very cool dog.

That ground cover stuff sounds nice, wonder if it would win the battle with the weeds.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎