X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by fstr-thanu
    I am still not sure what I should use to undercoat the car with when its complete though.

Tom
    Although every squarebird I've had has been undercoated it was an option and not standard equipment. It's acceptable to paint the underneath body color. Just make sure you use epoxy primer over your new sheet metal.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

When I did the underside of my car, it had the ancient factory undercoating on it. This was removed with an angle grinder and a 3" cup wire wheel. Then I vacuumed all the dust off, and cleaned with Eastwood PRE cleaner. I forget what I used next on the bare metal, but it was something in a spray can.... Then I used non-rubberized undercoating on it. It has held up nicely, but then I am not driving this car out in the winter salt, nor purposely driving in the summer rains either.
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• fstr-thanu
        • Jan 22 2014

I hope to be finishing up the metal work this week. Does anybody have experience with Ziebart? I was wondering if that would work well as the undercoating. I got a quote of 300.00 and by the time I buy the other products like por 15 or Eastwood I'm spending more and doing it myself.

Thanks!

Comment

• Tbird1044
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 31 2012

I'll bet that was a miserable job stripping the old undercoating. I'm trying to strip 7 coats of paint and my garage is covered with about 2 layers of the paint dust.
          Nyles

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

I have no love for any tar-based undercoatings. The only thing I've seen that works half way decent is cosmoline, used by the Army any time they put something on mothballs.

Phosphoric acid-based paints work well (like POR-15 and a host of others). They seal and convert iron oxide from moisture. Tar does too, but is temporary, and breaks down over time.

I do the converter paint with another top coat. That works as long as the surface isn't scratched away. For stone protection, Ford uses a spray-on latex for their door panels. It is applied after electrocoat and gets baked on when the body is primed. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• fstr-thanu
              • Jan 22 2014

Well, the sheet metal work has come to an end. So much hand fab that the pictures could never do justice but phase 1 is done! Next will be complete wire wheel, self etching primer, seam sealer and finally a full undercoat. I am still undecided on which undercoat to use.

Tom

Comment

• keith
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 13 2010

Tom, I've been following your build. You have spent a lot of time fixing those old repairs and doing a great job at it too.

I would caution you on the POR 15. Read this http://www.spiuserforum.com/showthre...OR-15-Question

or google por 15 vs epoxy primer.

I've read a lot of good reviews on the SPI bedliner being used for a undercoat. Lizard Skin has good reviews too.

Just a suggestion.

Keith
                Keith
                Sedalia, Mo.
                sigpic
                CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

• fstr-thanu
                  • Jan 22 2014

Got out the wire wheel and went at it. After I got most all of the original undercoat off I was actually down to the original red paint so I just went to bare metal for the most part. I wish the whole underside would have just been sand blasted but for now I will just clean as good as I can and blend the new undercoat into the old. I put a nice coat of self etching primer over all the bare metal and next week I will seam seal. Hopefully within 2 weeks I will have this done so I can get the interior back in and start to work on the exterior.

I am pretty happy with the results thus far. I can't wait to take my girls for cruise with the windows down and the sunroof open.

Tom

Comment

• fstr-thanu
                    • Jan 22 2014

Well after a fair amount of homework on what to use to undercoat with I decided to go with 3M Schutz rocker panel paint. It was not cheap but it really went on nicely without the thick rubberized undercoating. It fills imperfections but does not mask hidden surprises. I am by no means a professional and much more an amateur at best but I do want to show off the clean sheet metal instead of bury it under a thick layer of tar.

Lots of detailing to be done but the ugly work has been completed thus far.

This was a tough piece to make!!

All in all I think it turned out well. I will still paint the interior floor pan work and then get the interior all back in the car. There is light at the end of tunnel!! LOL!!

Tom

Comment

• Tbird1044
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jul 31 2012

Tom:
                      Looks great. I can only imagine how much time was spent on this project. Nicely done.
                      Nyles

Comment

• fstr-thanu
                        • Jan 22 2014

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all the helpful advice and comments.

Tom

Comment

• keith
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Feb 13 2010

I have used that before and have had great results. If you have some left over and it sets in the can for awhile I have found a little lacquer thinner will bring it back to life.

Looks great.
                          Keith
                          Sedalia, Mo.
                          sigpic
                          CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

• fstr-thanu
                            • Jan 22 2014

Hard to believe but it is finally done!! Far from a concourse restoration but one heck of a project. Everything is fresh and functions as it was designed to.

Picking up from the paint shop:

Back at home:

No more rusty body!

Im not real happy with the engine bay but I had to draw the line somewhere!

What a huge learning process dealing with this car but none the less it was a lot of fun for me and my girls.

Thanks,

Tom

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Congrats. Considering what you started out with it looks spectacular. I wouldn't be concerned with the whole "concours" thing. If you are happy with the way it turned out that's all that matters.

John
                              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• YellowRose
                                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Sheet metal diagram

She looks absolutely gorgeous to me! That red really pops! Beautiful looking Squarebird! She looks ready to be a candidate for the 2015 Squarebirds Calendar! I am always looking for a good red car for July and Christmas!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎