X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Voltage regulator

My Bird seems to have an alternator with its respective regulator. I was chageing my positive horn wire, and it is connected to the ACC side of the regulator. Is this ok? Will the horn then only work when the engine runs?
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

I swapped an alternator for the generator and gutted the external voltage regulator. The alternator has an internal unit. In effect only the top battery and horn connection to the external defunct regulator is "functional". Assuming battery and horn connections are on that top terminal, your horn should work as long as the battery is functional without respect to your key position.

Dean

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Dean is correct. The horn wire is connected to the main power wire that comes from the starter solenoid. It will work whether or not it's connected to the voltage regulator. If you replaced that wire you need to connect it to the main yellow power wire for it to work all the time. It should be on the BAT terminal of the regulator.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Frango100
        Experienced
        • May 2 2016

Great, thanks guys. I just ordered an used, old type horn relay, which will fit better "by the looks" in the engine bay.
        sigpicFrank
        1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
        Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎