X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Fuel pump repair kit

No idea how old the mechanical fuel pump is on my bird, but it has a metal filter bowl on it. Sofar i couldnīt find any brand name or other identification on it. I want to open up the pump, to see if the internal check valve is stuck open or not closing well. Of course there is a good change of breaking a seal or other rubber part, so its probably better to have a repair kit in house before attempting any work. Do i have to remove the pump first, to find out which brand it is? Is there any online shop which sells fuel pump repair kits? Shipping costs and import taxes are killing, so i would prefer not to buy a new pump.
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

If you buy a repair kit make sure it is NOT New Old Stock because they were made for gasoline, not gasohol.

The advantage in new pumps is just that... they are compatible with new fuel chemistry and they should last a long time. The same goes for carburetor repair kits. Steer clear of NOS parts. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Frango100
      Experienced
      • May 2 2016

Ok, thanks Dave. Here in Brazil they put 27% of alcohol in the fuel, so i hope that the materials will withstand that.
      sigpicFrank

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

US car companies are telling Washington that 15% ethanol is too much and that special alternative fuel engines must be made to burn 15%.

I cannot imagine 27%. Why that number? Why not 20 or 25 or 30%? And, doesn't Brazil produce their own gasoline? - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Do you have a local shop that fixes old cars? If so they should have this figured out long ago.

Here if you buy at a local store you'll probably get an Airtech pump. It looks like the original Ford unit for '64 through at least '72 and it's a piece of junk. I've had 2 out of 4 fail on the bench, and a third fail after a month due to the diaphragm dissolving in our 10% alcohol mix here.

Comment

• Frango100
            Experienced
            • May 2 2016

Brazil produces its own gasoline, but they also produce huge amounts of alcohol. The alcohol is much cheaper, so they mix it with the gasoline, but donīt reduce the price. The amount of alcohol in the gasoline depends on how much is available, but they changed it from 25 to 27 % some years ago. Only premium fuel still has 25% in it.
            There are only back yard mechanics overhere, which i wonīt even thrust my bicycle to. I do all the work myself if possible.
            sigpicFrank

Comment

• Frango100
              Experienced
              • May 2 2016

Does anybody know who sells a repair kit for the fuel pump? I did see some complete fuel pumps on e-bay, but no repair kit. Also Rockauto doesnīt sell it.
              sigpicFrank

Comment

• Deanj
                Super-Experienced
                • Nov 26 2015

You are probably a good candidate for an electric fuel pump. These other vacuum operated options or parts such as the wipers, windshield washers, and fuel pump are much better off electronically operated. Throw in electronic ignition and an alternator, and you're all set!

Comment

• Frango100
                  Experienced
                  • May 2 2016

I was thinking about this option of the electric fuel pump. I know that the pressure must be around the 6psi, but what should be the flow rate of the pump?
                  sigpicFrank

Comment

• Deanj
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Nov 26 2015

I'm not tech enough to know. 35GPH? All I know is a simple inline mount near the tank is sufficient. I'm sure Summit Racing or your local parts store can assist.
                    Last edited by Deanj; November 23, 2016, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• Thunderherd
                      Apprentice
                      • Oct 22 2014

I think 6 psi is the max you want. I got the 6 to 9 and it was a little to much. Just pushes right on by my Edelbrock carb. Got another one that was like 3 to six or little bit less. And it works fine. I've got a 390 and a big cam. Got it at auto zone. And I wouldn't really worry about the gph. Just think. If you drove your car for an hour down the road, how much gas would you use. I don't think it would be any where near 35 gallons.

Comment

• Yadkin
                        Banned
                        • Aug 11 2012

If you go electric you want to have one self-regulated at 5 psi. Most pumps are fuel injector rated and therefore much higher pressure.

You should also wire it to a relay, along with a "bump" switch rigidly mounted to the chassis to turn it off if you are in an accident. And you should have it lower than the tank to help it prime. Finally, beware, as the little buggers are noisy. Read my experience on these before you decide. I ended up doing away with all that to install an in-tank unit.

Regards to your shipping cost issues, is Amazon available for you? I've found that many of the venders I use sell through Amazon and this helps me save on shipping, especially when ordering a single item.

Comment

• Frango100
                          Experienced
                          • May 2 2016

Just got the mechanical pump of the engine. It has a year stamp of 2010, so its not that old yet and most probably not used much. This is a completely sealed pump, so no repair possible. I could choose to put an inline check valve just after the pump, so that the fuel line will stay primed all the time.
                          I saw some electrical pumps for carburator use, but wonder how reliable they are. I didnīt see any well known brand overhere. They sell some pumps for motor cycle applications with the right pressure rating, which seem to be of good quality. They have a flow rating of 50Ltr/hr. (approx 13gallon/hr), which should be enough for normal driving. I only wonder if it will be enough during hard acceleration (which i normally never do)
                          sigpicFrank

Comment

• byersmtrco
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Sep 28 2004

If you can possibly by the pump in the brand Carter, I recommend that. They're quieter - Less chance of the arm tapping on the eccentric cam.
                            They also have one without the bowl.

Comment

• scumdog
                              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Frango100
                              [ They have a flow rating of 50Ltr/hr. (approx 13gallon/hr), which should be enough for normal driving. I only wonder if it will be enough during hard acceleration (which i normally never do)[/FONT]

On a long uphill run they might not keep enough fuel to the carb - and you'll find yourself slowing down until the fuel supply 'catches up'.
                              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎