X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

390 or 428

First off, I'd like to say how much I enjoy this board. All the subjects I need to address with my 60 Conv seem to pop up here. Everything grom shift levers to fan shrouds. The usuals who answer a lot of the questions seem very knowledgeable. I guess my question is engine related. My dad purchased this car brand new. His uncle was the Ford dealer in Gilroy,Ca. for close to 50 years, until retiring in the early 60's. In around 1972, he had another Ford dealer install a new 390 (short block). They used the original 352 (Interceptor) heads,int/manif, exh/manifs, etc. It had a Holley 780 on it for years. I installed the Edelbrock AFB (600 cfm) probably 10 years ago. The thing has always run like a tall horse. It's just tired now. This was his everyday car for 30 years. I'd say the eng has about 175K on it. It will use a qt of oil in 150 miles. I guess my question is, would you stick with this tried and true combo and just rebuild it with hardend guides and seats or change over to a 428? I do want to keep it pretty close to original. Some minor changes (6 bladed flex fan, that shrd from Dearborn Classics) . I have pretty much decided on the C6 change over (can't see that from the top). The slip-o-matic with the added pwr of a 390 (or 428) doesn't cut it. It's got the beefier 65 style Mercury case, but it's still junk. 30K miles and it slips into 3rd. Anyhow, I would appreciate any input on this matter.
    Sorry for the long winded message. Have good Holidays !!

John Byers

________
    KISSING ADVICE ADVICE
    Last edited by byersmtrco; April 5, 2011, 11:01 AM.

RE: 390 or 428

Personally, I'd stick with what you have, but of course that's just my opinion.

It's really up to you since the car is no longer 100% original anyway.

Comment

• 1960Bird
      Experienced
      • Dec 4 2002

Re-build the 390...JMHO

Steve

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
      390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

hi
        Back in 1978 i put a 428 cu. balanced with a crane blazer cam( .563 in .586 ex solid lifter) with a toploader 4spd. 60 to 65 mph in first gear, could'nt have taken much over 3 seconds to get there, when you could get the right bite on the L-60s'. I would foolishly run 140 on the speed meter every other day on my way to band practice. It made the car extremely light and realy, realy, realy, realy fun to drive. i had stock 3.10 rearend. I also got 16MPG with a 3 X 2 set up where i opened all the carbs at the same time and had a cam so that the first 50% of pedal in the car gave you 25% on the carbs, the second 50% gave you 75% at the pedal
        good luck
        mark 1960 thunderbird conv

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

Yup, 390 it is !! Thanks for the advise !!!
          And I don't have to go look for one. Any idea's on a camshaft? Just a torque grind ta get the 4250 lbs movin'.

Thanks again !!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TBIRD'rs !!!!!!!!!!

John Byers

________
          CRACK REHAB FORUM
          Last edited by byersmtrco; April 5, 2011, 11:02 AM.

Comment

>Yup, 390 it is !! Thanks for the advise !!!
            >And I don't have to go look for one. Any idea's on a
            >camshaft? Just a torque grind ta get the 4250 lbs movin'.
            >
            John,

Suggesting a cam is hard for someone else to do IMO. What one person uses might not work well for another considering all the variables on an FE engine (valve size, porting, etc).

There's a book you can get through Amazon (and I'm sure a number of other places) called "How to build Max Performance FORD V-8s On A Budget" by George Reid. It goes into great detail on every facet of building an engine; what works, and what doesn't. And ... It covers the "whys and why nots." Another thing the book points out is the amount of factory Hi-Performance parts that Ford offered for these engines and how to identify some of them.

The camshaft section is pretty extensive, and like the rest of the book it covers different applications under different circumstances. Stock, street, racing, etc.

With a little research you just might be able to find a factory cam (for alot less money) that rivals or is even better then an aftermarket one.

Make sense?

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎