X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Center console - different materials

In my never ending quest to add A/C to my car (maybe next year) I bought a used front center console piece to drill the holes in for the A/C pull controls rather than cut up my original. (I don't know why)

Much to my surprise the pattern of the material is different on the one I bought out of a '58 with leather interior and my '60 with vinyl interior.

May be common knowledge but I had no idea the console coverings were different between different interiors. Makes sense though - the one from the '58 with leather looks more like leather.

Going to use it anyway - only the sharpest eye will catch it once it's in the car under the dash.

Eric

top '58 with leather - bottom '60 with vinyl

reversed here - top '60 - vinyl..... bottom '58 - leather
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

58's didn't come with leather interior. I'm not sure if the vinyl was different from '58 -60. It may have been redone. The 58's I've seen have the same grain as 59-60.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

I know for sure my '60 hasn't been re-covered.

The console was sold as a '58 but could have been a later car - they did say it had leather seats (which also could have been re-covered). Just going on what the flea bay seller told me.

If the "leather look" console was re-covered the trim shop did it EXACTLY as original right down to the 1/4 inch trim folded and glued on only the bottom edge. It has all the same gaps in the corners and around the edges, no glue residue etc. Guess it's possible that it was re-covered but it sure looks original.

Eric

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Center console - different materials

John is correct regarding no factory installed leather interiors in the '58 Squarebird, according to Automotive Mile Posts. Here is the link.

http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird...eriortrim.html

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

The console was pretty grungy when I got it - some rust on the back etc. Thought I remembered washing a tag off the back when I was cleaning it - sure enough - there it was still in the back yard where I washed it.

So it is from a '58 - don't think any trim shop would go to the trouble of replicating the cuts on the material - maybe Ford was just using different material in '58 and '60 - my guess anyway.

Eric

I painted the back of the console from the '58 black after wire-brushing the surface rust off but you can see how close the material cuts are.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

After looking at the pictures again the grain pattern on the '58 looks more correct to me than the '60. It's certainly the same as on my '59. Maybe they changed it slightly in '60 or maybe the company that supplied it just ran out of material and used what they had hoping no one would notice. Anything's possible I guess.

John

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

Yep - agree.

The pattern on the '60 is the same throughout my car. Door panels, seats, rear seat trim etc. And of course - I've been in that same back seat "since I wuz born"

My car is an Aug '60 mfg.

I remember a fellow getting knocked a point at a show one time for having the wrong material pattern on his console. He was furious because he knew it had been in the car since new too.

Interesting......

Eric

Comment

• partsetal
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 4 2005

The pattern is the same for 58-9 and different for the 60. This applies to all surfaces that have the vinyl material bonded to metal, i.e console, seat skirts, package tray, dash extensions and so on. The vinyl pattern on the sun visors is also different. There may be others items that I haven't listed or that I haven't discovered yet.
                Carl

Comment

• DKheld
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Aug 27 2008

Thanks Carl !!!

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I didn't know that either. Thanks Carl.

John

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Carl now you have me thinking. I am going to check my wife's 58 and then my 60
                      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                      Thunderbird Registry
                      58HT #33317
                      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

I get a kick out of hearing discussion about 'quality'.

Ford never made the consoles, Arvin did, for many car companies. Ford simply purchased and assembled them. In fact, most of the parts that make up your car were made miles apart, at different locations and at different times.

Vinyl is made (again, not by Ford) in batches and sent out in rolls. The console company (Arvin) may use vinyl that Ford supplied (and at Ford's price) but the door panels and various other parts were not from the same roll or possibly not from the same batch.

The vinyl pieces used are 'die cut', which is how you would know if an aftermarket trim shop did them. (Leather is die cut as well.) Is it even possible that Arvin ran short on 'Ford' vinyl or somehow by mistake, the vinyl used for your application was 'Chrysler' or 'GM vinyl'? It happened more than you know.

Many folks cannot describe their modern car's inner door panels because they simply don't pay close attention to fine detail. Now, you guys got poor Dano running out to compare his Squarebirds that were built two years (and thousands of rolls of vinyl) apart, fifty years ago. Yes, suppliers have 'standard samples' to go by but tighter tolerances make parts cost more. Ford vinyl came from different manufacturers.
                        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Mr. Dare " not running around " as I had BOTH Birds out yesterday to fuel and for perhaps their last " chooch " before putting away for the winter and checked it out
                          Thanks for the explanation and that's why I always say to anyone who will listen to me, this is the best TBird site on the PLANET Where else could we get details like this?
                          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                          Thunderbird Registry
                          58HT #33317
                          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• DKheld
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Aug 27 2008

Got the new/old console modified for A/C and installed. Carl Heller sent me some used knobs. When cleaned up they match the rest of the interior perfectly - thanks again Carl. Decided not to paint the bottom rings white but left them natural.

Ok - lets see who notices what's different about my system....
                            Knobs look off centered but just the angle of the pic.

And thanks Greg for the A/C control plate - I finally got it installed!

Eric

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by DKheld

Ok - lets see who notices what's different about my system....
                              Knobs look off centered but just the angle of the pic.

And thanks Greg for the A/C control plate - I finally got it installed!

Eric
                              It doesn't say Select-Aire. That's what I noticed.

John

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎