X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anders
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 19 2008

A test ride, worth to remember...

This weekend, the Swedish Squarebird / Thunderbird club have an annual gathering, where approx. 25 Birds attended. Quite a few with caravans for convenient overnighting.
    With Ruth let me down yesterday as the brakes disapeared as a entered a crossing, with red for me , I didnīt dare to take her the 50 miles I needed to drive.
    Couldnīt resist going there, I have to take my Volvo , but it was to be worth it. Big times.
    After a few hours I asked one guy with a super de luxe fine ī60 Goldie Top 430 if he could take me for a ride, as I realy wanted to feel how a realy fine car felt and sounded. Booth from the engine, but also from rattling, squeeks etc.
    As most of the people was staying the whole weekend, it was a good atmosphere with BBQ and a few beers, and he couldnīt drive as he have started up already, so to say. "But you can drive" he said As I was planning to go home tonight again, I was sober, so I didnīt see any problems except it felt a bit nervous to drive a super restored, very rare car. In the dark...
    While just cruising out from the area, I could feel that this car was something compleatly different from Ruth. It felt solid. And quiet.
    I took it little carefully to warm her up, and as soon as we reached the main road, ha asked me to "kick-down" and let her fly. I was a bit worried here, but he pretty much demanded me to put the pedal to the metel, and not take it from that position We took of like a aeroplane, and flew into the darkness, as there where no lights on the road. The one in the car worked of course, but hey, a lot of things have been improved over the 50 years since this lights was made.
    It didnīt take long before the speedometer passed the 140 mph mark, but the car was just absoloutly stable, and the whole car felt extraordonary solid. The chassie was not far away from a modern car, and the suspension took up just everything, and the handling was nothing but exceptional. No rattling, squeeks or any "unhealty" sound. Just pure good. Amazing. Nothing but amazing.

-so THIS is how there came 1960 Canīt be nothing but baffled about what Ford have done the there brand over all these years. Quite sad to be honest.
    It was realy great to have the opportunity to drive this car, and get the feel about how good they can be. This car drove and handles so much better than mine that I didnīt expect it to be such a difference. The good thing is that I now know how great they can be. The tough one is that I also know how much work I have ahead of me
    Must work quicker on my garage, so I can bring her in as soon as possible. I have alot to do here....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Anders; August 9, 2008, 05:25 PM.
    sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
  • Anders
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 19 2008

Another thing I forgot to mension was that the tranny was s-u-p-e-r-s-m-o-o-t-h. No matter in slow speed, kick-down or anthing in between. I thought mine was OK, but this one was smooth as silk or velvet. "Only adjustments" he said. And he promiced to help me with mine

Comment

• Penelope
      Super-Experienced
      • Mar 4 2008

Sounds like you had a fine time Anders! 140mph...wow, I dont even like doing that in my daily driver. It must be an amazingly well restored bird. I think Penelope is in pretty good shape, but I havent taken her over 90mph yet.

You are lucky that you now have a measuring stick for Ruth.
      sigpicBill
      Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• tarps3
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 21 2003

if the red car in the pic is the one you drove, it doesn't look to have a stock intake or air cleaner.
        Did he have a modified engine in it?
        Maybe THAT'S why it ran 140!
        sounds like a lot of fun!
        Casey

Comment

• Anders
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 19 2008

It it some kind of aftermarket stuff from 1961 I been told. Brand unknown.
          Yeah, Thatīs the car.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Dan Leavens
            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Anders that's quite the amazing set up on that bird. Please keep all of us posted as to what he did to create both the increased horsepower and also tranny & suspension. I am very interested in the air intake as seeing the pixs I cannot tell what it is??

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Thunderbird Registry
            58HT #33317
            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡