X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yellow98cobra
    Experienced
    • May 28 2012

What is this?

This is mounted to the firewall it has nothing hooked up to ether side. First picture is the interior side second pictures is under the hood. Thanks
    Attached Files
    Yellow98Cobra
    1960 Thunderbird HT
    Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
    There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
    http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/

Hey Eric,
    I would say a electric port of some sort with the double nuts and the isolators. If you have a electric tester ohm out bolts to body and see if there is any reading. If there is my theory my theory is out the window Just my 2cents worth
    Richard D. Hord

P.S. Is that right below the master cylinder? If so my '60 has knock out there with a plug in it.

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

It looks like a hidden 'kill switch' that would possibly have had a main earth lead running to it and then back th earth (or the + lead to and then back to the starter-solenoid), I have used a similar set-up in other vehicles of mine.

Turning that 'L' shaped bit inside the car (the 'key') through 90 degrees cases the two contact inside the device to break/rejoin contact

This means you can disable the elctrical system without the effort of lifting the hood and disconnecting the battery, very handy when 'messin' wit th' 'lectrics' - all from the drivers seat )If you know where to reach!)

For some reason somebody has either never connected up - (or has removed the wiring involved) the one in your car.

It also means if you take the metal 'key' out of it nobody can run the car. (Unless they figure out what is happening and run a by-pass lead betwen the two contacts on the device!).
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎