• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

Coker Tires

Not to open a can of worms here . . .

I was just wondering who is running Cokers and what your thoughts are . . . I'm thinking 1" to 1-1/4 whites some time in the ? future.

The Cokers I recently saw looked nice. He would not give me a straight answer (buyers remorse?), but I did notice two HUGE balancing weights side by side. These were on Ford wheels (similar to mine) BTW so I don't think it was a wheel issue.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I have asked tire companies to give me a different tire for being too far off balance. They will. If they won't, deal with someone reputable. Coker is EXPENSIVE. I'm sure they will do what they can to make their customer satisfied. The Coker tires on my car were $150/ea. (7.50-14 bias ply Firestones). I hate the tires, but I don't fault Coker. These tires do a boogie-woogie under every condition. They're ok for cruisin' but that's it.

- Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

John as you recall, we had this discussion on the site among the members a couple of years ago.I had Ultra Supreme P215 / 75 14" tires on when I got the 58HT and after a couple of months I ordered Coker wide white 2 inch P215/75 R 14". The difference was like black and white ( not intended to be a pun ) and the rideability improved tremendously. They have stayed in reasonable shape over the last couple of years and require very little maintenance. On the 60HT, I have something called Cordovan Radial?? P215 / 75 14" and they don't hold a candle to the Cokers, especially handling corners and less chatter. In the spring, I will be putting on Cokers on her as well.
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Penelope
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 4 2008

Hey John, I am running American Classics. No point giving numbers as they are 16's to go with the LA Wires I run, but the ride of the American Classics (wide whites) is superb in both my 59 & 60. I took the 60 for a run last night down the freeway here in Perth. Got her up to our limit at approx 70mph and you would have thought that you were in my daily driver as far as the smoothness of the ride!
        sigpicBill
        Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

All good info . . . Thanks!
          I know it's been asked and answered here before. I am happy with my wheel combo. The Cooper tires I have on there are ok? There might be a warr issue with one, but I'm told they don't offer the 225 size any more.
          I am concerened with the poss age of these. The white walls them selves are cracked slightly. I am thinking they were new (older) stock. A buddy of mine runs the Tire Outlet where I bought them. He gave me a screamin deal. I believe it was $325 out the door.

To complete the "look" I really want, I really "need" 1" to 1-1/4" WW's.

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

John agreed that to pull that look out with your convert definitely, wide whites will do the trick. I thought that the 2" was a little wide originally but when you see them ( on these big boats ) they aren't. Anyway, good hunting and I am sure you will pick the right ones out.
            Thunderbird Registry
            58HT #33317
            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Gold Bird
              Experienced
              • Nov 9 2007

Hey John, In regards to the tires I put a set of Diamond back radials two years ago. They are the 215 size with 2" whitewall, look great ride well and so far no problems. Seems to me if my memory is right they are some off brand that they put the whitewall on, but its done well. Check them out online, if you would like some pictures let me know and I will email them to you. I forgot how to post pictures on our Bird site!
              sigpic1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Coker Tires

Hi Tom,

Contact Cathie ~ Coral. She will be glad to refresh your memory on how to upload pictures to the Forum!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• byersmtrco
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 28 2004

Yep . . . Slightly wider whites
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

John definitely " wide whites" as I had forgotten you have those great Ford hubcaps with center caps on the convert.
                    Thunderbird Registry
                    58HT #33317
                    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• dgs
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Feb 13 2003

Originally posted by byersmtrco
                      I am concerened with the poss age of these. The white walls them selves are cracked slightly. I am thinking they were new (older) stock.
                      There's a date code marked on every tire. This Tirerack article explains how to find it.
                      DGS (aka salguod)
                      1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                      www.salguod.net

Comment

• byersmtrco
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Sep 28 2004

Well, I'm pretty much sold on the larger W/W's.
                        Saw these on a little bird today
                        Attached Files

Comment

• DKheld
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Aug 27 2008

I'm running 215 75 14 DaimondBack radials on my 60. Can't remember if they were 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch whitewalls and have had them 5+ years now. The ride is great - only problem I notice is that the white side walls tend to absorb rust from the wheels if your wheels have a nick and rust a little but it can be cleaned with the Castor Oil tire cleaner product they recommend - that may happen on all wide whites?

I opted for the lowest cost tires at the time because I wasn't sure how much I would be driving my car - DiamondBack Classics or SE I think is what they were called then. After looking at the website I don't think they sell the tread pattern I have any longer. Mine will probably dryrot before they wear out. DB used to require that the shop mount them by hand rather than with a machine. I think the warranty is void if they are mounted with a machine so you might have a little added cost at mounting. Supposedly the machine will stretch the sidewall and cause damage that may make it seperate from the tire. I had mine hand mounted and they are fine.

As an alternative there is a product called a portawall that is an insert fitting between the wheel and tire. You can run any tire you want and have the wide white by inserting the portawall. Had these on the Tbird before the DiamondBacks and only changed because they were dry rotted and could not be reused. I beleive it's best to run tubes if you choose portawalls. They are usually 2 - 2 1/2 inches wide and run around $50 a set of 4.

Like these
                          Ebay item number: 330358981746
                          or
                          Lucas Tire

Eric

Last edited by DKheld; September 14, 2009, 12:58 PM. Reason: added reference info

Comment

• byersmtrco
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Sep 28 2004

Thanks for the input guys.
                            That white H/T looks good !!! I like the W/W's and the two tone int.
                            Very Nice !

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎