Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guy7981
    • Dec 12 2014

Help ! 1960 convertable, trim stick

the back trim stick, that holds the tack strip, for 60, cannot find this new, what is every one doing, and I have found a place to make them but need an old one, in one piece, does not need to be usable.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Help ! 1960 convertable, trim stick

Hi Guy! Glad you figured it out! You might give Carl Heller ~ partsetal on here, a phone call. Carl has many, many Squarebird parts and ships all over the world, and also has parts cars. His number is: 570-691-4404.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• tbrd60
      Apprentice
      • Nov 3 2006

Originally posted by guy7981
      the back trim stick, that holds the tack strip, for 60, cannot find this new, what is every one doing, and I have found a place to make them but need an old one, in one piece, does not need to be usable.

You don't need the trim for the tack strip. I just took the old trim off mine. When I had the new top put on they just fastened the new tack strip on where the old trim used to be. The tack strip is different than the original so you don't need the trim.

Comment

• partsetal
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 4 2005

Originally the trim stick contained a tightly wound paper product which absorbed moisture and rotted, most times rusting and destroying the trim stick. Just using a tacking strip (rubberized plastic, readily available) will not provide the support that the metal trim strip did. It is a quick solution but shrinkage and operation of the top puts a lot of strain on that fastening point and at some point, the top fabric will loosen.
        Some of the convertible suppliers have a metal encased tacking strip that is used on some non-Ford products and is excellent for the job. Problem is bending it to fit the contours and the dip in the Squarebird package tray. If anyone is aware of a firm that can make these bends, please let us know.
        Carl

Comment

• tbrd60
          Apprentice
          • Nov 3 2006

I had my top done a couple of years ago. They riveted the tact strip every couple inches. So far it still looks great.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎