• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frank58
    Super-Experienced
    • May 28 2006

Hood insulation

EBay item # 190132870104
    We have all seen the insulation offered on EBay and elsewhere and they are all thick insulation. nothing like the original. this is the first time I've seen a Ford part number B8S-16738-A called out... does anyone know if this might be the "correct" insulation?
  • tmjsong1aolcom
    Experienced
    • Mar 31 2004

Hood Insulation

I saw the add but discounted the add as bogus. I just looked thru my up to 58 parts book and the number does not exist.

closest is B5A-16738-A or -C Listed as for 52 to 56 Fords. No birds.

Draw your own conclusions.

Fuz
    58's&64's
    Sun Prairie, Wi.
    tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

I am on my second set of thick insulation. It falls apart easily, even after a few months. Ask the seller how thick it is. I would buy it if it is anything near the original.
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• frank58
        Super-Experienced
        • May 28 2006

I asked the seller about the insulation... his reply was.......
        "It is a thick insulation material with a board type backing. Just like the original type insulation on the car."
        Hmmm, back to the drawing board I guess. But I still wonder where he got that "Ford part number".

Comment

• FeFranco
          Experienced
          • Jan 13 2007

It is unfortunate that they couldn't take a closer picture of the tag in the plastic. I buy most of my TBird parts from Thunderbird Headquarters. They are close by which gives me a chance to look before I buy. I don't know about the quality of their hood insulation, but I do know the stuff I get is competitively priced and good quality. You may want to give them a call; 800 227-2174

Comment

I to bought the thick stuff,but what I am thinking of doing is tracing the pattern onto some good quality heavy gauge roof felt paper.Any thougts appreciated.

Comment

I wonder if I could glue the insulation part to the new felt paper.Hmmmmmmmmm.

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

Tell us how it works out. You might have some customers.

Originally posted by TChicken
                I to bought the thick stuff,but what I am thinking of doing is tracing the pattern onto some good quality heavy gauge roof felt paper.Any thougts appreciated.
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

I am 90% sure my insulation is from the factory. They put that in before the hood went together. It looks like 30lb. felt. I keep putting strips of sheet metal across the holes as it droops. Gravity is taking over. But i will keep this car the way i found it from the first owner.????? (and it do fly)

Comment

• bcomo
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 23 2005

Here's a photo of what it looks like using roofing felt (aka Tar paper, roofing paper).

This is 3 sheets laminated with weatherstrip adhesive, cut 1/2" oversize to a paper pattern, then slipped in between the two hood panels -- held in place with quarter size dabs of silicon sealer under the tar paper. Cost about $30 total.

The color is off in the photo -- it's really not that light.

Bart
                    1960 Hard Top/430
                    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

That looks neat

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Bart that not only looks neat but brings out the black. I have the Winterset White with old insulation. ??????????

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                        Thunderbird Registry
                        58HT #33317
                        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

I bought my kit from Concours Parts it came with a complete rubber seal kit for the car part # on the package is 16738-A it is 7/8" thick it looks like what I took out when I stripped all the paint of I have not put the new back yet as the car has not been painted yet

Comment

Insullation pictures

I should have posted these pictures with my last post I forget to so here they are Bob M
                            Last edited by Guest; December 1, 2007, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• bcomo
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Sep 23 2005

I've seen the "Fiberglass" type insulation for sale, but read that T-Bird owners were not happy with it because the water under the hood scoop would disintegrate the fiberglass, and it would come apart all over the engine.

My trunk had the original insulation, and it looked like thick tar paper, but I still wasn't sure until I read this from the "Vintage Thunderbird Club" 58-60 Concourse Rules Book:

Page 7.3.13 Hood Lining 1958-1960: "The 58-60 Thunderbird used a heavy, brownish asphalt-impregnated felt (similar to tar paper) liner for a sound deadener. The liner was sandwiched between the outer skin and inner structure of the hood and the trunk. This material was installed after the decklid and hood were painted. Many restorations have painted over the original material, resulting in confusion as to whether or not the felt was painted from the factory. Reproductions are non-existant, so salvaging of original linings becomes important for an authentic restoration"

So, it would seem that the best reproduction of the original would be made of a "Felt Tar Paper" material, not a fiberglass material like the ones being sold. I don't know why the repro companies don't do this? It seems easier than making it from the fiberglass material that comes apart.
                              Bart
                              1960 Hard Top/430
                              Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎