Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Howard Prout
    Experienced
    • Feb 11 2009

I bought mine on eBay - came from China. I think they were about $2 for 10 bulbs including shipping!
    sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Howard, you know I love everything electronic but I gotta play devil's advocate, and ask a few questions:

Do you dim your dash lights (using your headlight switch)? Dimming LEDs and incandescent bulbs at the same time produces much different results.

Are LEDs mounted in all your devices?

Did you change the bulbs to LEDs in your radio and steering column? I think the steering column application should be the best place for a non-inverted lens LED.

It seems like the gauges under the dash on the left are much dimmer than the gauges on the right. Then again, I'm not looking at it 'straight-on'.

(In my '55 speedometer dome, I installed a red LED for the High Beam Indicator. That turned out to be a perfect application because it doesn't dim.)

BTW, did you get your lug nuts straightened out? I found out that the lug nut industry does not use the same terminology as the fastener industry. A common acorn nut means it is closed on the top end of a blind and threaded hole (they're usually domed). When referring to wheel lug nuts, 'acorn' means the bottom of the nut is flared instead of straight. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Howard Prout
        Experienced
        • Feb 11 2009

Dave - in answer to your questions:

"Do you dim your dash lights (using your headlight switch)?" Yes, at least I can do but with my aged eyes I keep them as bright as possible.

"Are LEDs mounted in all your devices?" No - the heater control panel does not have an LED bulb nor do the ashtrays.

"Did you change the bulbs to LEDs in your radio and steering column?" No - too lazy to do so.

"It seems like the gauges under the dash on the left are much dimmer than the gauges on the right. Then again, I'm not looking at it 'straight-on'." I think that is a result of the viewing angle - from the driver's seat they all appear the same.

"BTW, did you get your lug nuts straightened out?" Yes and no. I was sure the Gorilla nuts I had but were the wrong thread had a closed end but I must have been wrong as the ones you got (with the right thread and part number) had an open end. The ones I am using also have an open end. It would have been nice to get ones with a closed end to keep dirt and salt away from the threads but I will do as you suggested an put a dab of silicon in the wells of each nut to seal them.

Comment

• newbird59
          Experienced
          • Dec 27 2011

Howard,

I'm very interested in the LEDs you got from eBay. Do you happen to have a part number/item number on these? I am not sure what to type in the search for these.

Thanks a bunch!

David
          1960 Thunderbird
          429 TJ
          C6 Tranny
          Under Construction

Comment

• Howard Prout
            Experienced
            • Feb 11 2009

The ones I bought came from China. I don't see a similar listing at this time but if you search for "ba9s inverted lens" you should get a couple of hits.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 30 2009

try this link:

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎