X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackBird58
    Experienced
    • Mar 9 2005

back up lights?

During a break in the rain on Saturday, I replaced the bulbs in the back-up lights on my '58 HT in hopes of getting them operating. Unfortunately, bulbs don't seem to be the answer. Looking in the shop manual, I see that the back-up lights are part of the automatic transmission lockout switch. My car has the classic loose shifter, so that reverse engages when the shifter indicates "N". Is it possible that this is why the backup lights don't work? If I need to replace the switch itself, does anyone know the part number or who carries it?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!
    Mel

• Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: back up lights?

The switch for the back-up lights is on the column under the dash. There is also a neutral safety switch that only allows starting in park and neutral. Both don't function right if the shift is worn and loose.

You need both the shift collar and the shift handle. Try Bob's House or Pat Wilson. They are on our links page on the main part of the website.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• BlackBird58
      Experienced
      • Mar 9 2005

Thanks Alex. I've got a collar and handle already; on my to-do list when it stops raining. Oh, that and fixing the windshield wipers!

Take care,
      Mel

Comment

these lites only work when the headlites are on.turn on key ,turn on lites.that should do.steve58ht

Comment

• BlackBird58
          Experienced
          • Mar 9 2005

Well, you guys are both right. Last night, with the headlights on and holding the shift handle in the "R" position, I could see the backup lights working. So, my next task is the infamous shift collar fix.

Thanks again!
          Mel

Comment

yea.i have the parts,just waiting for the powder coat on the collar.steve58ht

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎