Installing a late model 460

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing a late model 460

Hello All,

Let me start off by saying that usually I like all original with slight modifications just to make it your own. But with my 1960 352 I felt like it was just not such a good motor to start with. Though they aren't bad motors I just don't like them. (had a couple in the past.) So I've decided to drop a late model fuel injected 460 in it. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this done before or maybe knows a reason why it would be ill-advised mainly on the issue of engine bay clearance. I figure since 460s are so cheap these days and you can get parts for them pretty cheap it might be the engine to go with. If anyone has a better idea I am all ears. Remember though this is a very low budget car. Fabrication is not an issue. The 460 I can get comes with a C6 and all the computer hardware. It's coming out of a 25 passenger church bus that I used to help maintain.

Brian Costello

• JohnG
    John
    • Jul 28 2003

RE: Installing a late model 460

hi Brian

Since the issue has come up in another thread, it seems appropriate to mention here: what could you do to provide adequate cooling for
    this engine? Since it would be capable of more horsepower than the
    352, it seems there would be more heat.If so, you would need to investigate what kind of radiator the geometry of the engine compartment (and new engine) would allow you.

good luck!

John - 58 Hardtop
    1958 Hardtop
    #8452 TBird Registry
    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
    history:
    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

I have not installed this kind of engine in a Squarebird, but I have heard it has been done.

I would recommend an electric fan in this application. You of course have an alternator. I am not sure how this setup will clear the tranmission hump. Of course you will have the usual problems with throttle linkage connections and motor mounts. You will need to fabricate it.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• 1960Bird
        Experienced
        • Dec 4 2002

Why go to all the hassle/work of putting a 460 in. I put a rebuilt 390 .40 over (396 cu inch) in mine, it runs great. Has about 335 hp with the below mods. As far as the 352 cu in Fe engines...they are a fine engine, yes, they are more exspensive to work on, but if it is all about price you could put a cheby engine in it. JMHO

Steve Ronk
        Cedar Rapids, Iowa
        1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
        390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Hood Clearance Issue

The retrofit is not all that difficult but the first thing you have to consider is that the 460FI engine you are using has a dual inlet throttle body and will not allow the BIRD hood to shut over it.

Comment

RE: Hood Clearance Issue

Appreciate the information. I'll have to look into the hood clearance issue a little more. I don't think I'll have overheating issues late model 460s tend to have better cooling qualities than a early model 352. I also like the fuel injection. As for the electric fan I would have to agree completly. Other mods would also have to include disc brakes. I will never put a chevy engine in it!? I believe my biggest problem in this mod will be the hood clearance. Thanks for your posts. If anyone knows anything else let me know.

Brian Costello

Comment

HI
              I have a 1971 429 cu in a 1963 1/2 gal XL. It is a carb. motor and fits without any hood interference. I should say that it is in there using FE motor mounts, starting off as a temp. cure for just getting it into the hole. There is a company that specializes in thunderbolts/early 1960s' full size and mid size ford mod. parts, "Crites" i think, that sells the motor mounts and trans mounts. He does not mention thunderbirds but might have some insight as to the change in height between the 2 motors. Some years ago i think his fe to 429 block converison kit was about $80 and included the trans mount.

more hp is always good,
              mark
              60 aquamarine conv.

Comment

hi
                I was just wondering, did you ever come up with a plan to shoe horn that 460 into your squarebird?
                thanks
                mark

Comment

Still weighing my options and keeping my eyes open for other options.

Brian Costello

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎