This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:07 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Noticed on Rob's car there is a space between the front frame member and the radiator splash shield or air deflector. Can't remember if that is a 2 piece design and possibly they have the piece closest to the frame removed for the condenser install.

Ah - just thinking - if 2 piece - maybe it was removed earlier for the electric fans

Looking good though - can't wait to see what the A/C vent temps are and how well the big ole 430 keeps cool.

Thanks for posting the pics Ray.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:49 AM
Super-Experienced and a really nice guy!

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Rob's 1960 non AC 430 to AC Install

Earlier in the evening, Rob sent me an update. I was hoping he would have some more pix, but they have been out of pocket tonight. Here is what he had to say, though he did not go into details as to what they ran into. Hopefully, tomorrow.

"Hello Ray, Today we accomplished 3 hours of work in 8 hours. A lot of things went wrong and we ran errands for parts. Tomorrow we will hopefully finish up."

Hopefully, he will be able to tell me about the problems they ran into that caused them to have to looking for some parts and what they were. But, from the sounds of it, it looks like they hope to finish it up later today! I am looking forward to some good, up close pix of the work.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-21-2018, 10:02 AM

Here is this mornings report on yesterdays work on the AC conversion and some pix...

"Hello Ray, We are back to working on the car this morning. A few photos. I am doing this fast so delete the ones not of use. Yesterdays problems were mainly in adjusting things which made for taking things on and putting them on repeatedly and running for parts, hose crimping, etc. Best wishes, Rob."

Here are the pix he sent. One was a duplicate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2234.JPG (111.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2236.JPG (107.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2237.JPG (137.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2238.JPG (122.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2233.JPG (45.3 KB, 80 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
Old 08-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Experienced

OX1 is on a distinguished road

See if he can get a pic from a forward view of that AC bracket.
So far it looks like it may be difficult to get to PS fill and dipstick.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:30 PM

Hi Henry, I see your concern. I just tried to all Rob, but he is away from the phone at the moment. Either they are out getting parts to finish off the installation, or he does not have the phone out in the garage with him. I will see if he can get a better picture, or will be able to tell us if they can still get to the PS unit to fill it, or check it. I certainly hope so!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 08-21-2018, 12:48 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Maybe he could switch lids to the style I have on mine?

(I've since replaced that aftermarket A/C compressor bracket with an OEM - no pic handy at the moment)

Old 08-21-2018, 05:13 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
Maybe he could switch lids to the style I have on mine?

(I've since replaced that aftermarket A/C compressor bracket with an OEM - no pic handy at the moment)

Now that you mention it, that is the style I have on my 430.
Wonder why Rob doesn't?

I'd also like to see front view to see how bracket bolts up and how it fits with original PS brackets.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:17 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
Now that you mention it, that is the style I have on my 430.
Wonder why Rob doesn't?
To my knowledge all '59's had the flat lid without the dipstick. Over the years many had the lid changed or had rebuilt pumps installed. Back in the old days you could get a rebuilt pump with the reservoir. Most of them came with the dipstick lid.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Old 08-21-2018, 07:19 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
To my knowledge all '59's had the flat lid without the dipstick. Over the years many had the lid changed or had rebuilt pumps installed. Back in the old days you could get a rebuilt pump with the reservoir. Most of them came with the dipstick lid.

John
That explains why my PS dipstick does not even read close to correct. On the upside, it should clear that AC bracket.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:12 PM

Here is an update from Rob and Don. They had hoped to be finished today, but are not quite there. Like many things that can happen when you are working on a classic car, things came up that delayed them, or had to be worked out or they had to go get some additional parts. But the work is pretty well done, with most everything back in place, even the shroud around the radiator. They have left off the electric fans because there was no room for it on the outside of the radiator to put it back on. If push comes to shove, they know they can reverse it to a puller, take off the mechanical fan and spacer and put the electric fans on the back side. As for the PS container, it does clear the mounting bracket, and you can get to it okay. I told him about your concern and cover, Henry and suggested that he look at your pic. He will see about getting some pix of that area straight on, along with other pix to me tomorrow. Mainly, they want to get everything completed tomorrow to the point where they can back her out of the garage, start her up, and get the AC going to see how she is doing.

"It's Hip To Be Square"