This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:04 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Bryan, these are fabulous pictures and great information for every Squarebirder. Can I post them on our site?

BTW, I love the two-fan system because most of the time one small fan will do the trick. In extreme heat, both fans. AND, if one happens to fail there is a backup. - Dave
Yes you can post them. FWIW, this setup is on a 390 with a 671 blower, so far I've had zero heating issues with her, but I have not run her during the summer yet.

Yeah, I didn't think to post the controller I also got for them. It's a thermo controller with a temp sensor mounted into the radiator that is supposed to be designed for dual fans.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:13 PM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake bird View Post
I see the mounts look to be brazed to the radiator top and bottom, what material was used as the straps..
They are actually MIG welded on there, if no one will make fun of my welding, I can post another photo that shows it better......

My radiator is original to the car. But we did re-core it with a larger high performance core, removed the surge tank, and am using a more typical overflow tank on the fender.

Cheers
RustyNCA
Old 03-15-2018, 09:01 PM

lake bird is on a distinguished road
Default dual fan control unit & wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNCa View Post
They are actually MIG welded on there, if no one will make fun of my welding, I can post another photo that shows it better......

My radiator is original to the car. But we did re-core it with a larger high performance core, removed the surge tank, and am using a more typical overflow tank on the fender.

Cheers
RustyNCA
necessity is the mother of invention, What control unit did you use, looking at a few in the 50.00 range...

Last edited by simplyconnected : 03-16-2018 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Straighten out the quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:02 PM
Super-Experienced

I used the Hayden one for dual fans, #3654. I think I paid just under $50 for it on Amazon.

Here's a link to my photos of ole "BigBird" as my kids call her...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cpmBhuu7nSYo7ss73

For the fan mounts I used flat stock with a bolt welded to it through a hole I drilled. Smoothed the backside so it wouldn't damage the vanes.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9OS7KNQ0OvZJsDDp1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Contour - Squarebird Fan01a.jpg (115.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Contour - Squarebird Fan02a.jpg (134.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Contour - Squarebird Fan03a.jpg (126.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Contour - Squarebird Fan04a.jpg (113.8 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by simplyconnected : 03-16-2018 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Added Bryan's pictures
Old 03-25-2018, 05:08 PM

Default fan to water pump clearence looksto tight

Quote:
I used the Hayden one for dual fans, #3654. I think I paid just under $50 for it on Amazon.

For the fan mounts I used flat stock with a bolt welded to it through a hole I drilled. Smoothed the backside so it wouldn't damage the vanes.

Just got everything for the elect fan install...I have the original 3 pulley on the water pump . looks like not enough clearnce for the electric fan unit .. did you ust the orginal water pump or an after market pulley set up....did you have to remove the hood?

Lakebird/Rockwall
Old 03-25-2018, 06:02 PM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake bird View Post
Just got everything for the elect fan install...I have the original 3 pulley on the water pump . looks like not enough clearnce for the electric fan unit .. did you ust the orginal water pump or an after market pulley set up....did you have to remove the hood?

Lakebird/Rockwall
Opps, forgot to mention, I am running an aftermarket alum water pump, no surge tank and yes, I had the hood off while I was replacing it all. Never thought about the hood being an issue, sorry.

And I'm running a two groove pulley.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:53 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I love this setup:

After taking the old fan and spacer off there is plenty of room for a fan. Notice the foam between radiator and fan shroud. I also love that the fan controller is mounted in the lower corner of the radiator. It's a mistake to put it high, in case the water level in your radiator drops.

The fan cools the radiator. Engine temp has nothing to do with the fan. In Michigan winters, my cooling fan goes months without turning on. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-26-2018, 09:52 AM

Default Do you have the aftermarket water pump model and pulley set

Quote:
Opps, forgot to mention, I am running an aftermarket alum water pump, no surge tank and yes, I had the hood off while I was replacing it all. Never thought about the hood being an issue, sorry.

And I'm running a two groove pulley.
Do you have the water pump and pulley set model numbers and source of purchase ?
Old 03-26-2018, 10:00 AM

Default Hayden controller hookup ?

Quote:

For the Hayden controller...has 2 hi (BLUE) & 2 low (ORANGE)
wires do 1 of each go to the positive for each fan ?
Old 03-26-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
I love this setup:

After taking the old fan and spacer off there is plenty of room for a fan. Notice the foam between radiator and fan shroud. I also love that the fan controller is mounted in the lower corner of the radiator. It's a mistake to put it high, in case the water level in your radiator drops.

The fan cools the radiator. Engine temp has nothing to do with the fan. In Michigan winters, my cooling fan goes months without turning on. - Dave
What distributor and coil setup are you using ?