No announcement yet.

Towing a 62

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towing a 62

Just purchased a 62 bird down in TX and I plan on towing it home via tow dolly. It is a 450 mile trip. My question is, should I disconnect the drive shaft? It isn't a big deal but why do it if I don't have to right Thanks for any input.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Most tow companies use a flat bed truck.
    Another method is to lift it from the rear so the back bumper doesn't drag. The car can be lifted higher if left on its front wheels.

Dollies work, too. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

But is it ok to tow it from the front without disconnecting the drive shaft? I will be using a dolly.

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

It might be possible to tow it for short distances with no damage but for a 450 mile trip I would disconnect the driveshaft.

Even if you put the car in neutral the driveshaft will still spin many parts in the transmission that won't be cooled by fluid moving through the transmission cooler.

Are you sure the '62 will fit between the fenders of the tow dolly? I tow with a tow dolly often but much smaller cars (British cars). Be sure and use at least one extra chain to strap the car to the dolly. I've had the tire straps break and come loose.

Tbird's are heavy. Be careful and good luck....

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by DKheld
          It might be possible to tow it for short distances with no damage but for a 450 mile trip I would disconnect the driveshaft.

Even if you put the car in neutral the driveshaft will still spin many parts in the transmission that won't be cooled by fluid moving through the transmission cooler.

Are you sure the '62 will fit between the fenders of the tow dolly? I tow with a tow dolly often but much smaller cars (British cars). Be sure and use at least one extra chain to strap the car to the dolly. I've had the tire straps break and come loose.

Eric
          Thanks Eric. I guess better safe then sorry, so I will disconnect the shaft. I am pretty sure the dolly I am getting will work, it is a Stehl Tow Dolly and is 80" between the fenders. Although I am not sure what the 62 is, my 59 is only 71" outside to outside of the tires, I am only assuming the 62 is similar.

Comment

Be sure and use at least one extra chain to strap the car to the dolly. I've had the tire straps break and come loose.

Eric
            And thanks for the tip, I'll take a chain along. Guess this will be a good chance to test the new dodge ram 1500 I got, but it is supposed to be well within it's towing range and the dolly I am getting will have electric brakes, that should help. Pretty excited about getting this home, got a few plans biggest one being mpfi.

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

No problem - hope it all goes well.

When my Dad was alive and still driving his '60 he bought new I wanted to find a '62. Never got around to it and now enjoy driving the '60 he had and I grew up in. One of these days when I win the lottery maybe I'll have both.....

Don't tell the Tbird guys - but I've had / have 4 Dodge 1500's. ('96, '01, '06, and '12). All with the 5.9 - last 2 with the Hemi.
              Still have a '96 and a 2012. My first one was a 2001 4x4 wheelchair accessible truck for my son. Man we had fun with it - much better than an old van... one of only a few made.

Recently I was looking for a Ford 4x4 for a snowmobile - somehow I wound up with the '96 Dodge 1500. They just seem to keep following me home.

I'll be looking forward to the progress on the MPFI. Kit or are you going to transplant a system from another car?

Comment

Nice looking truck there Eric! I had never owned a dodge truck before, but seen tons of them on the road. When I went looking for trucks I did not see anything I liked till I looked at the new ram and now I know why there are so many out there. I have the 5.7 Hemi and getting around 18MPG in these oklahoma hills, I could not be happier. Here is a pic of the new 62 I am picking up. It has already been converted to the new 134a freon and has disc front brakes.

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

I would use a full trailer Instead of a dolly. I recently trailered a 65 Galaxie on a U Haul with a Ford Expedition and it worked very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Yadkin
                    I would use a full trailer Instead of a dolly. I recently trailered a 65 Galaxie on a U Haul with a Ford Expedition and it worked very well.
                    Not sure how you pulled that off, but I tried everything to just rent a uhaul and no matter what I input for towing, it would say, not recommended and I know uhaul will tell you you can not rent the trailer if it says that combination is not recommended. Heck I even put in I was towing an MG midget and it still would not let me. So what did you do different? The website also says you have to have your truck approved for the towing you are going to do. This was my first choice.
                    But that is why I decided to just buy my own tow dolly so know one can tell me what I can or can't tow with it.

Comment

I'll be looking forward to the progress on the MPFI. Kit or are you going to transplant a system from another car?
                      Sorry, missed this when I read your reply. I am going with a kit.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by YellowRose; October 19, 2014, 11:25 PM. Reason: Downsized pic to 800x600

Comment

Made it home with my new 62 today, approx 880 mile round trip. I ended up buying another car trailer after weighing all the options. Got an average of 14 MPG with my ram truck, seems pretty respectable considering my 59 only gets about 13 MPG just cruising around . Not going to be doing anything to it for a while, just to many other things going on right now, but definitely have some plans.

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Towing a 62

Hi Larry, I am glad to hear that you were able to get the '62 home safely. Although you might not be working on it just yet, at least you got her home without major problems.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by YellowRose
                            Hi Larry, I am glad to hear that you were able to get the '62 home safely. Although you might not be working on it just yet, at least you got her home without major problems.
                            Thanks Ray, it was good to be back home safe and sound, well safe anyway

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎