X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mh434
    Comfortably numb
    • Jan 10 2017

Evaporator box removal

Hopefully a quick one. I removed the clips and 2 bolts securing the front of the evaporator box expecting to be able to take the front off and then remove the evaporator. I can now see that its not quite that straight forward as the evaporator pipework passes through the front cover, so does the evaporator box come off in one piece with the evaporator still inside it. I can see one fixing bolt holding the rear section of the box to the bulkhead but I couldn't see any others. Is there anything to disconnect dash side before I pull it out ?

Jon
    Attached Files
    Jon
    Deepest Hertfordshire
    Old enough to know I'm right...
    1960 Hardtop T'bird
    1961 Hotchkiss M201
  • partsetal
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 4 2005

Just did this job yesterday with the engine in. There are two bolts on the left vertical edge, two nuts on the lower right horizontal, and one at the horizontal upper right. Remove those, organize the cables at the top and pull it away. With the engine in, you have to remove the accelerator bellcrank and on the '60 352 the transmission test fitting.
    Carl

Comment

• mh434
      Comfortably numb
      • Jan 10 2017

Thanks Carl

Engine and trans are already out so that should make like a lot easier.

Jon
      Jon
      Deepest Hertfordshire
      1960 Hardtop T'bird
      1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

If you are planning on re-installing be careful with the ducts from the evaporator box to the vents - they will be very fragile (cardboard) and run right beside the fragile defrost vents. Luckily the ducts are now re-produced if they become damaged.

I had to make my ducts out of metal and covered with a sound proofing material (Dynamat) also put some of the material inside the evaporator box - at the time I was working on mine the re-prodction ducts were not available. Carl sent me a slightly damaged duct as a pattern - thanks again Carl!!
        (I was adding A/C and my car didn't originally have it).

Think I remember one screw holding the ducts to the dash vents or maybe holding the ducts together? (been a while)

Good luck on the project.

Eric

Ducts from the evap to vents behind the dash.

Inside my evaporator box.

Comment

• mh434
          Comfortably numb
          • Jan 10 2017

Thanks Eric
          Jon
          Deepest Hertfordshire
          1960 Hardtop T'bird
          1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

In the TRL, there is FOMOCO instruction to install factory air conditioning in a car. There are some good drawings that may help you. If you haven't looked at it, it may be worth while.

Also, when I was looking through the article, I noticed one drawing that shows the addition of spacers on the front coil springs. That may explain why some of us have the spacers and others do not.
            Nyles

Comment

• SirBB
              Apprentice
              • Jul 7 2016

I pulled mine off this weekend as well, must be the season to get AC working. As described below, it came right out with the 2 nuts and bots removed. Note it would also be easier to take the Tranny dip stick tube off (mine has the C6).
              I removed the the old insulation in the box with a wire wheel on a drill, afterwards I got wondering if this is asbestos...does anyone know.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎