X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hazegray53
    Apprentice
    • Jan 9 2015

Upper Control Arm Bumper

I just about have the front suspension back together on the 60 Sunliner. Where exactly does the Upper Control Arm Bumper attach to? It definitely did not have one installed on either side when I took it all apart. The illustrated parts book shows the part but I can't find anything that says or shows where it would be installed. This seems simple but it has me confused.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It looks like it goes through the back hole of the ball joint.

John
    Attached Files
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

That's right. The rubber is offset from the stud. After years of service, the rubber rots and the bumper falls off. Many Ford cars used this same rubber bumper, so it is available.

Several of our members cautioned about installing it before connecting the ball joints. There is more clearance if you fish it in AFTER the ball joints are in place and assembled. Simply raise the car under the shock then install the upper bumper.

Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Hazegray53
        Apprentice
        • Jan 9 2015

That's what I was originally thinking but my electronic copy of that illustrated parts book doesn't have that nice little dotted line showing it go through the ball joint mount and I really didn't think it would be sufficient for keeping the ball joint properly attached. My new ball joints also came with 3 bolts and nuts so I think that threw me off too. I'll have to go back and look at the old ball joints. And, I'll have to see if this new bumper has enough thread on it to make it through the arm and the ball joint. I'm sure it will. Thanks for that pic! Makes things much more clear.

Comment

• Hazegray53
          Apprentice
          • Jan 9 2015

Well my ball joints are definitely already installed so I shouldn't have too much trouble getting the bumper in there. Of course I've said that with every part of my project and nothing's ever that easy haha.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎