X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steffan
    Apprentice
    • Jan 29 2007

Fuel Tank Leaking

I recently installed a new Fuel Sending Unit in my 60 and now when filling the tank the fuel leaks out from around the sending unit at the top of the tank. The sending unit came with a rubber O-Ring to seal it but when you tighten the ring everything is still loose. You can actually move the ring from side to side its that loose. Also it seems to be leaking from around the actual round insert that the sending unit goes into.
    Any suggestions? Do I need a new tank? A different gasket?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I don't remember having an "O" ring on these tanks. I think a neoprene flat washer should come with... If you can't find one it is an easy gasket to make. Go to your auto parts store and ask for gasket material. Simply trace your sending unit and cut a few layers out of the gasket material until you get the thickness you need.

Of course, if your tank is very rusty, I would replace it. You Canadians make the finest tanks on the market. We are able to buy them for around US$200.00 (which is a very good price). - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

My new tank came with a new rubber o-ring, but it was too thick.... and the old one was too rotten to consider re-using.

I ended up making something that worked.

Sometimes with these old cars you just have to be creative.
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎