X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssj335
    Experienced
    • Jul 13 2018

Gas Question

What gas to put in? Such a basic yet important question. Someone mentioned needing a lead additive? Is that every time? Is there a certain type?
  • ssj335
    Experienced
    • Jul 13 2018

Found an old post about taking premium/95 with maybe a lead additive but some people think it is not necessary.

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Gas Question

Hi Kirsten, did you get her home okay? I think you will find on here that you should use the higher grade, UNLESS, you know that the engine has been re-worked in the past, to accommodate using the lower grade. As for using a lead additive, it is suggested, and I will let someone else say how often to do this. Using the lower grade can cause engine pinging and perhaps other problems. See what the others have to say..
      Last edited by YellowRose; August 9, 2018, 04:27 PM. Reason: Revised wording...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• del
        Retired Expert Enthusiast
        • May 11 2010

my 2 cents on gas

Hi Kirsten,
        Welcome on here! I use non-ethanol gas pretty much exclusively with the highest octane I can get. Non-E gas is easily available here usually 91 octane and I do use lead additive half bottle per fill-up. My engine has aged original internals.

Our cars' rubber parts and ethanol do not mix well, so unless your original parts have been replaced with modern ethanol-tolerant versions, using E-10 is not advised. IMHO. Others may disagree. You could easily have a collapsing rubber fuel line that is contributing to your current issues, as ethanol will eat away at rubber parts of your fuel system.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry to hear of your current woes but these things are fixable. Do you know the repair history from PO?
        Regards,
        Don Vincent
        Amherst NY
        1960 HT 352
        TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• Deanj
          Super-Experienced
          • Nov 26 2015

As Ray said below, if your engine was rebuilt, the exhaust valve seats were probably hardened. There's no need for a lead additive. Just run your engine on 91 octane or higher, Premium.

If you have an original untouched engine, run 91 octane or better, and purchase some lead additive at your parts store. They should know what is required and how often.

Dean

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎