X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orwin
    1960 Tbird
    • Jun 17 2008

Update - John's 430 website

Just finished adding a lot to my member website http://www.squarebirds.org/users/john_orwin/index.html

- Engine disassembly and reassembly sections. I am not an expert and if any members care to comment and nitpick - the feedback is welcome!
    Attached Files
    John Orwin
    1960 HT 430
    VTCI #11290
    Tbird Registry #1590
  • orwin
    1960 Tbird
    • Jun 17 2008

Sorry - did not notice that the original thread was moved to 430 MEL. This will probably be the last postings on the 430 for a while. I will be putting up details of the front and rear suspension, and rear end rebuilds. I'll leave it to the webmasters to decide where to put the post.

Regards,
    John Orwin
    1960 HT 430
    VTCI #11290
    Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

Hey John,
      Engine looks awesome! Keep us posted!!!
      Richard D. Hord

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

I second Richard's post. That 430 looks massive and handsome on the stand. More, more, more!

I think I'll visit your site to see your new additions, John. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Update - John's 430 website

Hi John,

Yes, since it applied to the 430MEL engine, I moved it to the appropriate Forum. Great Stuff! I hope you do not mind me "borrowing" some of your pix here and on your web page to put in the 430MEL Picture Gallery! They will be a great addition to it for people to look at now and in the future.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

That 430cid looks fantastic!! Clean enough to eat off of!!

Is you engine's oil dipstick & tube installed in this pic?

What brand spark plug wires did you go with-they look great too!

You are very brave going back with the original (non-AC) 4-blade cooling fan. Though it is correct for you Bird & really stands out too.

Heck, I only have GOOD things to say John. All I'd add is a generator mounted w/s washer "vaccum" pump...

-Jon in TX.
            Last edited by tbird430; July 27, 2010, 11:53 AM.
            sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• partsetal
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 4 2005

John,
              The finished motor sure looks good. The only nits I can find to pick are that there should be an additional plastic piece to organize the plug wires. It is held by the wires themselves, and it goes between the rocker arm cover and distributor. Also, it is difficult to see the metal line from the fuel filter to the carb.
              In another post you indicated that you would change the fuel pump, but it looks right the way it is.
              From the Lincoln parts book, the front cover is also listed as B9SZ-6019-A for the 58-9 Lincoln. (My book is 56-59). The oil fill tube for 58 is EDF-6754-A, and for 58-9 is listed PB8M-6754-A with the note: Use with PB8M-6750-A indicator when replacing EDF 6754-A on early 1958 Models. The 59 Models use the PB9M-6750-B indicator.
              Yes, many of the Lincoln parts dealers have the 430 items, but they are way more expensive than the Tbird guys.
              Carl

Comment

• orwin
                1960 Tbird
                • Jun 17 2008

Carl,

Reading between the lines in your post re. the front cover/dipstick (indicator) issue, it sounds like there may have been more than one variety in use depending on when built or field replacement. The difference in length wouldn't matter as long as it's the right indicator for the tube.

FYI - I have the plastic combs for the plug wires, but was in a such a rush to get the motor ready for pictures that I forgot to put them on. Same thing with the tubes to the carb - I have them but didn't put them on. Note that GTE427 has asked me to send my original vacuum advance tube to Inline Tube for duplication. Stay posted on that.

Thanks for info,
                John
                John Orwin
                1960 HT 430
                VTCI #11290
                Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎