X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbf777
    Experienced
    • Jan 9 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected
    The 351W .................... It is a SBF that uses the exact same pistons as the 5.0 liter engine.

This is hard for many to grasp but in a carbureted engine we regulate fuel with the gas pedal. In an EFI engine we regulate the AIR. Fuel injectors are not tied to the gas pedal in any way.

In fairness to all engines, an FE engine can also be fuel injected using aftermarket systems. - Dave

As far as 351W using pistons from the 5.0 or other 289 or 302 cu.in. engines, or visa-versa, I wouldn't try this at home if I were you! One might want to review the piston compression height values first! Perhaps, if one qualifies a particular non-stock connecting rod length or crankshaft stroke combination, well........ maybe.

It is, hard for many to grasp, but in a carbureted application, with the exception of the accelerator pump system within the carburetor, providing an intermittent fueling value upon linkage movement, one is only directly controlling an air valve, not fuel. And, that it is only the air motion which "draws" or "siphons" the fuel into the induction volume.

But, I totally agree, that the FE engine can be as fuel efficient as other pushrod engines, both as carbureted or as converted to E.F.I.

Scott.

Comment

• pbf777
      Experienced
      • Jan 9 2016

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
      Thunderherd; are you considering using the FiTech "fuel command" unit? It is interesting, but in the installation instructions it still mentions that a return vent line is needed
      I would recommend an "in-tank" fuel pump installation, with the appropriate "return-style" fuel regulator and return line, eliminating the need for the "Fuel Command" unit.

Scott.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by pbf777
        As far as 351W using pistons from the 5.0 or other 289 or 302 cu.in. engines, or visa-versa, I wouldn't try this at home if I were you!..
        I have overhauled SBF engines so I come from experience and I'm here to tell you that stock pistons are identical for 5.0-liter, 289, 302 and 351W. They all have ‎4.000" cylinder bores.

Yes, they come in different compression ratios because both engines were used in cars and trucks. Otherwise, they share exact same part numbers and the same ring diameters.

Many parts between both 5.0 and 351W engines are shared; heads, water pumps, oil pans, rocker covers, timing chain sets, etc. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• pbf777
          Experienced
          • Jan 9 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected
          I have overhauled SBF engines so I come from experience and I'm here to tell you that stock pistons are identical for 5.0-liter, 289, 302 and 351W. They all have ‎4.000" cylinder bores.

Yes, they come in different compression ratios because both engines were used in cars and trucks. Otherwise, they share exact same part numbers and the same ring diameters. - Dave
          I understand that you possess an excellent sum of experience, but in this case, you might want to research this subject just a tad bit more.

And, to aid in your research, please allow me to point out that the term was, the pistons' "compression height", not "compression ratio"!

Note that in fact, very little in the way of O.E.M. components interchange. A quick-list of similarities are limited to: yes - some piston rings as the 4.00" bore is shared (also with the S.B.C.! & others) - but there are several different dimensional ring sets depending on piston applications, and even perhaps the gudgeon pin as both are of .912" diameter - but not the piston, bellhousing bolt pattern, engine mount pattern, front timing cover pattern & water pump - but different covers & pumps for different models & years & rotational direction, intake bolt patterns & fasteners (well, there is the 16 bolt vs 12 bolt, but often the additional four bolts on the earlier 351Ws gets ignored) - but different left to right separation so not intake manifolds, thermostat & housing - different units depending on model & year, after-market camshafts (different firing order on earlier 289/302s), timing chain sets (except early units w/ "C" spacer), thrust plates, fasteners & lifters do interchange, head bolt pattern - but 1/2" vs. 7/16" so after-market cylinder heads as they are machined to fit either retaining bolt size - so therefor rocker arms, valve covers and retaining fasteners, oil pump & pan retaining fasteners - but not pump or oil pan, crankshaft/flywheel bolt pattern - be aware of different applications & imbalance values of flywheels (5.0 vs others), crankshaft snout dimension therefore dampers - but different dimensions & bolt patterns based on model & year (again beware of imbalance values), and damper retaining bolt & washer does interchange, core/freeze/welsh & gallery plugs interchange, as do oil filter or cooler adapters & oil filters, and perhaps some accessory drive pulleys of the many created..........

Well, I forgot something I'm sure!

But although the 351W is similar to the other S.B.F. 90° engines, the differences are obviously greater than these interchangeables listed.

Scott.
          Last edited by pbf777; March 6, 2018, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎