X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gold Bird
    Experienced
    • Nov 9 2007

Diamond back radial tires?

Anyone have a set of Diamond back wide whitewall tires, or know someone who does? They have a real nice looking radial tire with 2 1/2 whitewall for $165 each, Coker sells the same tire for about $193. I am looking at the 225/75-14 size. Just like to know if they make a good product. Thanks!
    sigpic1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Goldbird I am not familiar with Diamond Back tires.??? Let us know how they are

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

I don't own a set but have heard really nice things about there construction. Supposed to be a really well made tire.
      Just one man's opinion. Talk to TBirds Southwest. They are a distributor.
      Joe

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

If TBSW sells em, they're good !!! I think the Coker wide whites are old style TA radials. Could be wrong.
        Call TBSW. talk to lance (owner). Very sharp guy !!!

Comment

• dgs
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 13 2003

I have no experience with either, but I remember hearing that one of them has a bead on the outside of the WW and the other doesn't. The bead proetects the WW from curb strikes, I guess. You might look for that.
          DGS (aka salguod)
          1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
          www.salguod.net

Comment

• tarps3
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 21 2003

Originally posted by Gold Bird
            Anyone have a set of Diamond back wide whitewall tires, or know someone who does? They have a real nice looking radial tire with 2 1/2 whitewall for $165 each, Coker sells the same tire for about $193. I am looking at the 225/75-14 size. Just like to know if they make a good product. Thanks!
            They are AWESOME tires.
            There's a set on my Bird (going on 6 years now) and a new set on my Olds.
            They are beautiful...and much cheaper than Coker.
            Casey

Comment

• Gold Bird
              Experienced
              • Nov 9 2007

Thanks to all for the input, I think they will really add to the look of my car. The Cokers are 215/75-14 and they just look small, the larger 225 should make a nice difference for sure. Once they are on the car I will post some pictures for all to see.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                Super-Experienced
                • May 31 2007

I have a set ordered for the 65 TBird, I am told it will take two weeks to have them made.

I ordered a set of 245x60x15 for the front and 255x60x15 for the rear.

What I was told is that they are a set of Firestone tires that they get and then fuse the whitewall portion onto the side of the Firestone. But that is for the size I ordered. If you look on their web site, they say what tire manufacturer they are using for each type of tire. But the tires I was told were Firestone, the web site says are manufactured by Yokohama

I talked with a local guy that has a set of Cokers on one of his cars and the DB tires on the other, and he likes the DB tires better. He told me that the Cokers seemed to not hold up as well and that the whitewall on the Coker checked on him alot faster.

They also are the only company that I found that carried the whitewalls in the sizes I was looking for.
                Last edited by RustyNCa; January 11, 2008, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• JohnG
                  John
                  • Jul 28 2003

Casey suggested DBs to me about 4 yrs ago and they have worked out fine. I only put about 3-4K a year on them but they look like they will last forever. I rotated them a year ago.

My only possible gripe would be the quality of the whitewall itself. It looks a little wrinkly in a couple places and seems like it could be better. But I have never looked at a Coker critically to see if they are any better.

I think I paid the factory about $165ish each.

john
                  58 hardtop
                  Last edited by JohnG; January 16, 2008, 03:26 PM.
                  1958 Hardtop
                  #8452 TBird Registry
                  http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                  history:
                  http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Gold Bird
                    Experienced
                    • Nov 9 2007

John, Thanks for the input on the DB tires, I am going to give them a call and I will ask them about the whitewalls. My Cokers that I have now look to be in ok shape, but they are 8 years old and the whitewalls have never really looked all that white, even after cleaning. They do have some checking on the treads too. One way or the other I think I will give Diamond back a try.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                      Super-Experienced
                      • May 31 2007

I should have a set in for the 65 in a couple weeks from what they are telling me. I can post my feelings etc on them.....

Comment

• Gold Bird
                        Experienced
                        • Nov 9 2007

Rusty, Sounds great thanks for the info when you get them!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎