Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bullitbird63
    • Sep 6 2010

Smelling Gas

My 63 bird drives ok,but when its in motion i can smell gas from the front end of the car with the window down, i rebuilt the carb a while ago, and also if i leave the car for a few days it takes forever for it to fire, like the fuel is draining out of the carb, its the stock autolite 4 bbl any suggestions ?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by bullitbird63
    ...if i leave the car for a few days it takes forever for it to fire, like the fuel is draining out of the carb...
    If you're smelling raw gas, the leak is substantial. It may be draining the whole gas line.

Check the entire length of the fuel line (steel tubing AND rubber hoses). Just don't light a match. I would keep the car outside the garage until you identify the leak.

Most likely, a rubber hose let loose.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• novanutcase
      • Dec 15 2009

If you're running the stock autolite carb it's probably a needle valve sticking open and flooding your bowl. There is a small vent hole on the air horn in front and back and when the bowl floods it leaks out through there. The next time you notice the gas smell pull over and pull the air cleaner off. If you see gas in the manifold valleys then that is your culprit.

As far as your starting issues, it seems to be a common problem with our cars. Just pump the gas 8 times and it should start right up. The first time you pump it will set the choke plate.

John

Comment

• ozbird
        Apprentice
        • Sep 21 2009

Hi John,

8 times might flood the engine, depending on the carb. I have a Holley Street Avenger 670cfm on my car and pressing pedal to floor once and starting without holding down pedal works for me.

BulletBird, try a few different methods over a number of days, you need to get the 'sweet spot' for your car.

Graeme

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎