X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

Kill stories

Maybe I'm a lead foot, I don't know. I've always driven this way I suppose. Now that my '64 is back on the road: big, shiny chome and loud, on occasion I get someone trying to egg me on, and I'm more than happy to put them in their place with 427 #-ft under the hood.

Tonight about 7 pm I took a short ride to stretch her legs and not far from my home, running about 40 mph down a narrow two-lane signed for 35, some guy in a Honda Accord starts to tailgate me.

Hey. Back off bud. You mess with her and you mess with me.

I continued down the road at a respectable 40 and the guy hangs back there like there's a magnet in my trunk.

I stopped at the intersection of Harper Road and took a right onto the approach to the overpass over I-40. The traffic light was red, the road three lanes in my direction; the left goes to I-40 east, the center goes straight all the way down to Rte 158, and the right goes over the bridge before turning into a right turn only lane into a shopping center parking lot. Since I was heading to 158 I took the center lane. Mr. Honda took the left lane, meaning that he must legally get onto the Interstate.

The light turned green and Honda jumps off the line. My window was down so I head his six hamsters rev up. He gained a 1/4 length on me before I floored it. I matched his speed until he had to shift, then the road was all mine. I pulled ahead with authority as he, with great shame, got in behind me and then took a right turn into the shopping center.

Dude, what did you think the word "Thunder" stood for?
  • Penelope
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 4 2008

love it, and in Australia you then put your hand out the window, raise it high and make scissor motions. We call it chop, chop!
    sigpicBill
    Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Sweet Reminds me of the old days when someone challenged you at the lights to test your iron. " Thunder Rolls"
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Kill stories

In the State of Texas, some people are known to stick their left hand out the window and give you the One Finger Salute, after just smoking you... Not a safe thing to do these days, I must say....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by YellowRose
          In the State of Texas, some people are known to stick their left hand out the window and give you the One Finger Salute, after just smoking you... Not a safe thing to do these days, I must say....
          I thought that was a Massachusetts thing...

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

This wasn't the first time that I wasted a tailgater in the Bird, but it was the most brazen, getting into the left lane like that.

A few weeks ago I was driving through Mt. Airy and a guy in a pickup was sniffing my rear bumper on a straight 2-lane. Again I was doing a respectable 5 over but that wasn't good enough for Mr. Patience. It widened out to 4 lanes and he promptly got in the left lane and sped past me. To reach the traffic light that had just turned red.

When the green turned on I showed him who the boss was.

Comment

• Deanj
              Super-Experienced
              • Nov 26 2015

I can't drive fast enough for today's drivers on the freeway. They blow by me even when I'm traveling 5-10 over the speed limit. On the local streets they love my car, but these goofs think I can steer and brake like them.

There's no question today's driver drives more aggressively because today's cars perform much better than 60 years ago. While I can't blame them for driving their car's potential, I can say there are too many tailgaters in a big hurry.

Dean

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

Here the problem is that they set the cruise control, at 5 over then park in the left lane. Everyone here knows that 5 over won't get you pulled over so that is the set speed used by many if not most drivers. So Mr. Leftie ends up alongside the guy in the right and the road is blocked for faster drivers.

In that past year or so I noticed that this disease has infected the commercial pickup and van drivers. Nothing more frustrating to see a guy in a white van with 15 ladders strapped to the roof holding up 1/4 mile of traffic.

And in the past month or so I've noticed semis doing it. The other day a guy in a tandem semi, a UPS truck, was doing it.

The law is clear "slower traffic keep right" or such language, but it's not enforced. I heard one state has made it a $200 fine and starting to collect on it. I wish they'd up it to $1000 and do it here.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Dec 23 2008

same in FL

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡