This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:43 PM
Experienced

tmjsong1aolcom is on a distinguished road

I have heard of the vin numbers being stamped into the plate next to the driver seat. This came up because I have a 58 body that I cannot find a vin number stamped into the body anywhere so far. Still have to body. The data plate on the drivers door pillar was gone when I got the parts car.

Would luv to see pics of the vin stamped into the plate next to the driver seat and the one under the drivers seat. Would hope to include these in the next VTCI squarebird rules/production info.

Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:54 PM
Experienced

OUR5T8BIRD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjsong1aolcom View Post
I have heard of the vin numbers being stamped into the plate next to the driver seat. This came up because I have a 58 body that I cannot find a vin number stamped into the body anywhere so far. Still have to body. The data plate on the drivers door pillar was gone when I got the parts car.

Would luv to see pics of the vin stamped into the plate next to the driver seat and the one under the drivers seat. Would hope to include these in the next VTCI squarebird rules/production info.

Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.
Fuz: As noted in post 27, both Mike and I found them under the passenger seat in the '60 Gold Top and His Hardtop .So could be on either side if at all . As for the '58 , never saw them in my convertible and parts car. Only on the right side frame member as shown in Dave's illustration .
Old 01-07-2018, 05:17 PM
Super-Experienced and a really nice guy!

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 1960 Squarebird Daily/Monthly Production Info

I took the liberty of passing on what has been posted regarding finding these VIN plates in 1960 Squarebirds in places we did not know about, on to "Fuz" and Alan Tast. You see "Furz" has responded here in this thread, and Alan replied to me in email and gave me permission to post what he said to me. Note that in my phone conversation I just had with him, he states that he has known these VIN plates being placed where they are being found in the 1960 Squarebirds only. Regardless of the model. He said they were placed in ALL 1960 Squarebirds, not just the Golde Tops. However, he has never found any in 1958 or 1959 Squarebirds. It is probably something that was initiated after the 1959 and prior to the 1960 Squarebird production runs (and I gather, ALL Ford & other makes of cars). I gather that this is something that had been discussed between major auto manufacturers and national law enforcement forces to put into effect, in 1960, in ALL cars being manufactured, as a means of further identification methods. Below is what he said and also what he explains as to why these should be found in every 1960 Squarebird ever made!

"Ray: The VIN plate screwed to the floor pan under the front passenger seat was used for all '60 T-birds and was regarded as one of the "hidden" places used by law enforcement to help ID a car that had its data plate or "visible" numbers altered or removed. This is regardless of whether the body were sent to ASC for the sunroof installation. It's not a sunroof-only thing.

When we assembled VTCI's '58-'60 OFS manual over 13 years ago I may have neglected to include information on this ID location, but if memory serves me correctly it's been discussed over the years in other places, and I've know about it since the late '80s. Someone out there with connections to law enforcement and vehicle theft recovery/identification documents may be able to source literature that points out where inspectors can find "hidden" VINs for a specific year/model of car and point out where other "hidden" numbers can be found on a car's body or frame, such as somewhere in the rear understructure or some other obscure part of the body.

Alan H. Tast, AIA, LEED AP
Technical Director, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-08-2018, 09:38 PM

9310alloy is on a distinguished road
Default 1960 floor vin plate

The passenger floor plate with the vin # on my 1960 (0Y71Y119158). The plates are on both sides. They were filler plates between the seat box rails and rocker. They keep the carpeting from being pushed down into the gap between the seat box rails. They are formed so there is a right and left plate. Had to be vin # stamped before being fastened to floor with two #8 short sms. I added the vin# in yellow....

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 215F6FD0-EE18-465C-8FF4-3317983B12F9.jpeg (41.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpeg 5E23C731-268C-47FD-96A3-FEC61288EDF5.jpeg (46.3 KB, 53 views)
Old 01-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Mike,

Thanks for posting the pics. Mine was on the driver side. I guess there was no rhyme or reason which side the plate with the VIN was put on.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm