X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deblib
    Apprentice
    • Apr 30 2012

Fender Skirts

Hey does anyone have any experience with buying fender skirts? The ones that came on my car are bad. One could probably be repaired, but the other is just duct tape and paint.

So are the fiberglass ones any good? Or, should I hold out and try to find metal originals and pay the big bucks? Thanks for any advice!
    Debbie #38435
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I haven't heard anything good about the fiberglass replacements. I would definitely wait for a metal pair. I've seen them go for anywhere from $100-175 on Ebay recently.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Originally posted by jopizz
      I haven't heard anything good about the fiberglass replacements. I would definitely wait for a metal pair. I've seen them go for anywhere from $100-175 on Ebay recently.
      I agree with Jopizz! There are on Ebay all the time.
      Richard D. Hord

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Fender Skirts

Deb, I would go with the metal ones, as others have said. You also might check with Bob's Bird House, The Bird Nest, and John Draxler of Thunderbird Ranch. They may have a used OEM set. You can find their contact information in the Advertisements Forum.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Deblib
          Apprentice
          • Apr 30 2012

Skirts

Thanks for the advice. I did check out all the links yesterday and haven't found a good set yet, but will have to be patient. There was one used set, looked a little rusty, no good photos. Another set said OEM in box, but they were $385. Again, no decent photos so you could see what you are getting. If I have to spend that much I want to see what I am getting. If anyone sees a good set let me know, please. Thanks again!
          Debbie #38435

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Fender Skirts

Have you tried Big Jim's Fender Skirts, in Whitney, Texas? They specialize in fender skirts for many cars. I just tried to call them for you to see if they had any used, OEM, or re-manufactured metal ones but did not catch them in. Here is their phone number. Call 1-800-874-6240. Here is their webpage. http://www.bigjims.net/ I did not see any listed specifically for '58-'60 Tbirds, but it won't hurt to call them and ask. Also, check CraigsList nationwide.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Joe Johnston
              Super-Experienced
              • Dec 23 2008

This search for skirts got me thinking: Remember the "old days" when we had to go to swap meets to find parts???

Things sure have changed as we now just Google anything we are looking for and have it with a few mouse clicks and a cr card.

Comment

• Deblib
                Apprentice
                • Apr 30 2012

Fender Skirts

Ray thanks for that one. That is new to me. I will give them a try. Yes it sure is much faster to search the Internet. The downfall is you can't exactly tell what you're getting until they come.

I could probably get away only replacing one, but I figure it would be harder to find just one, the side I need. Plus I need new seals for both anyway. The search continues!
                Debbie #38435

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Fender Skirts

Fender skirt seals can be found at the Bird Nest and probably the other Tbird vendors also. Just make sure they are the right ones for your year Tbird. If you find any fender skirts for Squarebirds through Big Jim's, please let us know.

Comment

• Deblib
                    Apprentice
                    • Apr 30 2012

Big Jim's

Tried Big Jim's, but no answer. I will try again in the a.m. I think I will just call each vendor and see who has what. Maybe they can email me more pics if they have some. I would like to see the backs as well so I know what I am getting. Especially for the money. I already have a paint matched, so that's not a problem. I will get there!
                    Debbie #38435

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here's a set on Ebay that look fairly decent. Just some surface rust.

John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Deblib
                        Apprentice
                        • Apr 30 2012

eBay

Thanks Jopizz,

I was just on there yesterday and did not see those. I'll bid and see what happens. Hope the rust is all surface for sure! Looks like all the hardware is there, and seals are cheap enough. Fingers crossed!
                        Debbie #38435

Comment

• Deblib
                          Apprentice
                          • Apr 30 2012

Lost eBay bid

Well I did not get the skirts. I could have kept bidding up but got busy with picking up the Model A from the shop, so the search continues. The funeral is Monday so after that I will get serious about phone calling! Thanks!
                          Debbie #38435

Comment

• dgs
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Feb 13 2003

Big Jim has a special page for Thunderbird skirts, they aren't with the Ford skirts. Squarebird skirts are $159/pr. - but it says 'heavy guage FG', which I would guess means fiberglass.
                            DGS (aka salguod)
                            1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                            www.salguod.net

Comment

• Deblib
                              Apprentice
                              • Apr 30 2012

Ok got my eyes on a new set, so see how his one goes.
                              Debbie #38435

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎