Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xdairyqueenx
    • Dec 12 2013

J B Weld

Well Yella Rosa told me my TBird was a different color originally.... now I found J B Weld way back on the head and block area hmmmm ...

I am depressed....

Catherine
    Catherine Soman
    Fairhope, AL 35585

TBIRD Reg # 51806

www.catherinesupholsteryllc.com
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Catherine,

I wouldn't worry about the color change. The white w/black interior has real eye appeal.

As far as the JB Weld where is it specifically. I've seen people put it on the seam between the head and exhaust manifold to stop an exhaust leak or between the block and intake to try and stop an oil leak. It's probably nothing serious.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• xdairyqueenx
      • Dec 12 2013

I think it is a blown head gasket...
      I hope anyway...
      I will try to get a pic today

I went 110 mph the other day then the next morning oil was dripping from the spot
      onto the exhaust

The J B Weld is all around Head/Intake/Block?
      Last edited by xdairyqueenx; February 24, 2014, 05:06 AM. Reason: forgot info
      Catherine Soman
      Fairhope, AL 35585

TBIRD Reg # 51806

Comment

• JohnG
        John
        • Jul 28 2003

an oil leak does not make me think head gasket problem.

Head gasket symptoms are many, including but not limited to: coolant in the oil, having to add coolant, grey smoke out the exhaust, and strange deposits on plugs.

I would have a look at both the dipstick and overflow tank.

IF you have a head gasket problem, this can allow coolant into the oil. The contaminated oil can ruin the bottom end of your motor because it can't lubricate properly.

On the lighter side, the valve covers often seep or leak oil which then runs on the exhaust and goes up in smelly smoke. You can easily tighten those bolts and get a sense of things.

Got any pictures of the JB Welded area?
        1958 Hardtop
        #8452 TBird Registry
        http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
        history:
        http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As mentioned an oil leak does not indicate a head gasket problem. Most likely you need new intake manifold gaskets as well as valve cover gaskets. Intake manifold gaskets are the most common culprit on FE engines when there's an oil leak at the back. JB Weld certainly isn't going to stop it.

John

Comment

• RustyNCa
            Super-Experienced
            • May 31 2007

Originally posted by xdairyqueenx
            I think it is a blown head gasket...
            I hope anyway...
            I will try to get a pic today

I went 110 mph the other day then the next morning oil was dripping from the spot
            onto the exhaust

The J B Weld is all around Head/Intake/Block?
            What makes you think it's JB Weld by the way?

Is the stuff you think is JB Weld pliable? Perhaps you are just seeing RTF someone used to much of when they put on the head or valve cover?

JB Weld is pretty hard stuff once it sets up, I even fixed a broken distributer on our 97 suburban that GM used a composite material as it's base and one ear got broken off. I made a new ear on the distributer with JB Weld, drilled and tapped it, and drove the old thing with that temporary fixed for a good ten years.

I agree with jopizz, I would look first at the valve cover gaskets, get some good Felpro gaskets or just make sure the ones on there are still any good. Lots of people reuse then past their prime. Also if you have the metal valve covers, many people over tighten them bending the covers and they will tend to leak till you straighten them back out.

Comment

• davidmij
              Super-Experienced
              • Jan 17 2011

Pictures would help a ton Cat. 110 mph in a 55 year old car has to be a tad shaky.
              I'd suggest pictures and maybe have whoever works on all your other cars look at it. Unless that's you of course.

The only blown head gasket I ever had was real obvious.

Dave J

Comment

• xdairyqueenx
                • Dec 12 2013

"Never take anything for granted… never.

I bought this car before I learned that Johng!

I Love My Car ...

Where r u Yella? Ray?

A mechanic is coming tomorrow afternoon.

Attached Files
                Catherine Soman
                Fairhope, AL 35585

TBIRD Reg # 51806

Comment

• davidmij
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jan 17 2011

Wow, it's still kind of hard to tell with the paint over it, but it looks to me like the intake manifold seam must have been leaky. That could even be RTV that has been painted.

Is the leak between the Yellow valve covers and the black head? Or is it along the seam of the JB weld?

Either way, you're lucky and I'm pretty sure it's not a big deal.

Dave J

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I agree that it looks like the seam where the intake manifold meets the block. If that's where the oil leak is then you will need new intake gaskets. Not a major job just labor intensive because of how heavy the intake is.

John

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

J B Weld

Hi Cat, I is here... Just busy with a special project. Good luck on troubleshooting that problem. I hope it is nothing major. One comment I would make is when you post pix, if you can take them into a photo editor, lighten them up a bit so the details will be better seen..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• xdairyqueenx
                        • Dec 12 2013

Hiya Raya

Good to hear from ya Ray. I can barely take pictures much less adjust the dog gone things Ha.

Well the others think it is not too bad. I can't find where it is coming from. It is dripping at the corner of the head. I'll have to fix it.

It drives great after the tires and the front end rebuild. Now onto the engine. Maybe I should go ahead and install an aircraft motor in it??

AFTER ALL IT IS A THUNDERBIRD!
                        Catherine Soman
                        Fairhope, AL 35585

TBIRD Reg # 51806

Comment

• RustyNCa
                          Super-Experienced
                          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by xdairyqueenx
                          Good to hear from ya Ray. I can barely take pictures much less adjust the dog gone things Ha.

Well the others think it is not too bad. I can't find where it is coming from. It is dripping at the corner of the head. I'll have to fix it.

It drives great after the tires and the front end rebuild. Now onto the engine. Maybe I should go ahead and install an aircraft motor in it??

AFTER ALL IT IS A THUNDERBIRD!
                          How about one of these..... it's 1,800HP, but not real popular with the Ford crowd.

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

J B Weld

Rusty, don't give Cat any ideas! She has already had that Squarebird up to 110mph! Even if it is a Thunderbird, if she goes any faster, she won't have any wheels on the ground! It will do liftoff! Cat, be careful! That car is nearly as old as I am! BTW, if you have pix that you need to lighten up so they can be seen better, just email them me, and I will run them through a photo editor, lighten them up and send them back to you. Then you can post them.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• RustyNCa
                              Super-Experienced
                              • May 31 2007

Originally posted by YellowRose
                              Rusty, don't give Cat any ideas! She has already had that Squarebird up to 110mph! Even if it is a Thunderbird, if she goes any faster, she won't have any wheels on the ground! It will do liftoff! Cat, be careful! That car is nearly as old as I am! BTW, if you have pix that you need to lighten up so they can be seen better, just email them me, and I will run them through a photo editor, lighten them up and send them back to you. Then you can post them.
                              Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the 110 in a squarebird....

I'm sure I've never thought to try that.....

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎