Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raptor1962
    • Jul 11 2006

Torque convertor question

Could anyone please tell me the stock stall speed of the torque convertor for a 77 T-bird? Thanks.
  • raptor1962
    • Jul 11 2006

Guess nobody knows..... or maybe doesn't care. I had hoped someone would know. Oh well.

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Torque converter question

Hi wayne. There are several reasons why someone might not have replied to your post. First is that perhaps they did not see it. Secondly, they might not have known the answer to the question. Thirdly, someone, like me, who does not know the answer, might be researching it. But I doubt anyone on this Forum would pass it by because they did not care....

I know very little about Torque converters and their stall speeds. I have been told that you want a low rating so that you get smooth action at lower speeds. I would suggest that if you have 1977 shop manual see what you might find in it about this. Or google the subject and see what you can find about it. Hopefully, someone with a lot more knowledge than I have who knows the answer, will see this and respond.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Jimz Bird
        Experienced
        • Feb 3 2011

Hi Wayne,

I have the 55-56 Fordomatic Shop Manuals and they list stall speeds in the troubleshooting section.

I don't know what tranny in in yours so see if you can find a shop manual, not just for that year of TBird, but for the Transmission for that year. If it is like a C4 or C6 there should be lots of info on them.

Maybe on one of those Shop Manual CDs that may have other scanned books.

HTH
        Jim
        Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
        sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

I'm with Jim and Ray. Stall speed is lock-up speed, the point at which your converter stops slipping. For production cars that are ever conscious of fuel economy and efficiency, the lock-up speed will be very low.

More slippery converters run hot and are very expensive. They are designed for engines with cam torque curves in the mid to high rpm range; not typical of a production drivetrain setup. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by raptor1962
            Guess nobody knows..... or maybe doesn't care. I had hoped someone would know. Oh well.
            My bet it is around the 1,800rpm mark, I think that is what my '71 C-6 is...I think!
            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by raptor1962

Could anyone please tell me the stock stall speed of the torque convertor for a 77 T-bird? Thanks.
              I rarely see lack of concern here as everyone gets along and actually falls over themselves to be helpful.

The SPEC will be found in the correct year SHOP MANUAL, the separate manual named 19XX CAR SERVICE SPECIFICATIONS. I have the 76 & 78 naturally.

You have to have the ASSEMBLY TAG I.D. NO. to arrive at the correct spec as they are different in the cars lines and in the same model run (vehicle calibration).

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎