16in. wheels

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: 16in. wheels

Thanks

Here is the link: [link:https://www.americanracing.com/wheel...oy,%20polished | American Racing]

the actual size used is 16X7 with a 4.25 Backspacing and they fit like a glove. I was originally concerned with the skirts, but I have enough back there to go with slightly larger tires if wanted.

Comment

• dgs
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 13 2003

>the actual size used is 16X7 with a 4.25 Backspacing and
      >they fit like a glove. I was originally concerned with the
      >skirts, but I have enough back there to go with slightly
      >larger tires if wanted.

I'm planning on putting new wheels on mine this summer. I'm thinking of 18" [link:http://www.billetwheel.com/cgi/wheels.cgi?cmd=show_image&path=Cast_Series&img=2&tn=1|Boyd Smoothie II's]. I'd like to go as wide as possible, 9" all around if they'd work. I probably need to stick with 8" on the fronts, though. Right now I'm thinking of a 4" back space and 225/50R-18 tires (hard to find) with an 8" wheel and 4.5" and 255/45R-18 tires with a 9" wheel. That would give me close to the stock tire diameter of 27.5" - 28" to fill the wheel wells nicely. I'd like to keep the skirts.

Skyd, based on your experience, are those sizes realistic?

Here's a pic of the wheel:

DGS (aka salguod)
      1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
      www.salguod.net

Comment

• dgs
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 13 2003

A correction:

After some more consideration and input from a guy here (flynbrian48) with 16" and 17" wheels, I've changed my mind. I'm now leaning to this setup:

Front
        17" x 8" wheels
        4" back space
        225/55R-17 tires

Rear
        18" x 9" wheels
        4.5" back space
        255/45R-18 tires

Any thoughts?

Oh, and [link:www.billetwheel.com/cgi/wheels.cgi?cmd=show_image&path=Cast_Series&img=2&tn=1|here's the proper link] to those Boyd wheels.
        DGS (aka salguod)
        www.salguod.net

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

RE: 16 in. wheels

That looks sharp !!!!!

________
          Bmw vi history
          Last edited by byersmtrco; April 5, 2011, 10:58 AM.

Comment

dgs,

Those are sweet set of wheels. I think whether you go with 17" or 18", you'll be be fine. Kinda which I went with 17"'s. The problem you are gonna run into with these will be the width. It was tight to get the 7"'s in, especially in the back, I think 8's will be pushing it and 9's might be impossible with the stock well's. I could be wrong, but I would hate for you to spend the time and have them not work.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, I hope I can help out.

Later,
            Marc

Comment

• dgs
              Super-Experienced
              • Feb 13 2003

Thanks for the input. I just got off the phone with Discount Tire. I'll be going in with my Honda Odyssey to get tires on Saturday and to place the order for the 'Bird wheels. They said they'll follow up on Monday with Boyd to get advice on fitment. I'll bring the car in for them to have a look too. Although I've done my homework, I want this to be their recomendation, not mine. Then if anything goes wrong, I can hold them to making it right.

As far as the 9" width goes, I may need to go up to a 5" back space in the rear, but I think it will fit. There seems to be plenty of room around the tires on it now (dinky 215/70R14 blackwalls) and they're nearly 8.5" wide and the 225/75R14 wide whites folks use are almost 9" wide, even thought the rim is only 5.5". So at 255, I'm only adding a little more than 1 1/8" (30mm) to the stock tires' section width. My biggest concern will be gettign them up under the fender and over the drum. The extra 4" inside the wheel should help that.

I'll post a picture or two when I get it done.
              DGS (aka salguod)
              www.salguod.net

Comment

Definately post some, I love to see other birds that are a little different. Great Idea with having discount make the recommendation.

The research I did was based on 16X8. I am sure if you did your homework then you should have no problems.

good luck anf post when you get done.

Later

Comment

• dgs
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Feb 13 2003

OK, what luck. Boyd just [link:www.billetwheel.com|posted some new wheels] today. They're called [link:www.billetwheel.com/wheels/jyd.htm|Junk Yard Dog] and are similar to the Smoothie's but a bit more aggressive. I've already got an email into Boyd about them.

Check them out:

DGS (aka salguod)
                  www.salguod.net

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

Again . . . Definently SWEET !!!

I'd like to see more pics of that !!!!
                    What does it have for an eng?

________
                    Zx14 Vs Hayabusa

Comment

byersmtrco,

Thanks! I will try to post some more this weekend, I don't have any recent ones, but soon.

Hopefuly this weekend I will be getting the engine back in the car.
                      It has a 352(I think, no numbers on the block to know for sure)I had some work done to it over the winter and just been too lazy in rebuilding it. I through a t6 tranny in, headers, a cam, intake, lot's of chrome, and I took the block and heads to a local machine shop for a bath and checkup. So far the engine's looking and coming together good.

I also will be getting new exhaust next week, nice loud glass packs, which I have in the garage attached with 2.5" pipes.

I just fear the un-known! But it's all in fun I just miss driving her and can't wait to get back on the road.

I will post pics when she's running. would love the input.

Later,
                      Marc

Comment

• dgs
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Feb 13 2003

Heading to Discount tonight to order the 17" x 8" Junkyard Dogs with 235/55R17 Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires. The consensus was the 9" width was too much in front. Would have probably worked in the back, but the 17's aren't available in 9" wide and the 18's are too much money. Besides, the slight extra side wall height will help the ride some.

6-8 weeks to get them though. Was the same price and wait either way. While I'm waiting I'll be re-doing the front end and putting new shocks on.
                        DGS (aka salguod)
                        www.salguod.net

Comment

love the look of those wheels, im about to install dis brakes on the
                          front of my bird. what do u have to do to get those wheels to fit proper...tys.Msgt. W. Gaines

Comment

• dgs
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Feb 13 2003

I thought I had posted a picture here, maybe in another thread. I got my wheels back in mid August and the car looks fantastic:

They're exactly the size I described in the post above and I don't think I could be happier. They fill the wheel wells and give the car just the right stance.
                            DGS (aka salguod)
                            www.salguod.net

Comment

Do you have disc brakes on this car? If so can I put them on a car that has a 14X5.5 size rim?
                              Shorebird

Comment

• byersmtrco
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Sep 28 2004

Not the stock Ford rims for that year. You need 14x6's to clear the calipers. It's the offset too. Standard later model Ford (or Chrysler) 14x6's will work.

JB

________
                                NO2 VAPORIZER

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎