X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JBird
    Experienced
    • May 22 2005

York A/C Compressor repair manual?

I need to locate a repair manual for the 58-60 York compressors. I need the bolt torque spec's and a diagram would help. I have 2 compressors. One says 59 J and one says 58 L on the side covers if that helps. They are finned aluminum, not cast iron and are not Techumseh's.

A pdf would work or a source to a repair manual so I can do it right.

Thanks,

• JBird
    Experienced
    • May 22 2005

RE: York A/C Compressor repair manual?

Does anyone know for sure what type compressor oil I should use and how much should I add?

Thanks,

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

The old R12 system used mineral oil while the new R134A uses PAG oil. You must flush out the old oil from the system in order to use R134A. There are some R12 substitutes that will allow you to run the system with the original mineral oil. The system uses 9 oz of oil.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• JBird
        Experienced
        • May 22 2005

Thanks Alexander!

Last night I tore into the better looking of the 2 compressors. When I pulled the head the suction plates were solid rust. I pulled the bottom crank cover and the crank and rod cap bolts were also rusted. It was the 58 L.

Next I turned to the 59 J cruddy compressor. Crusty on the outside, caked with grease, oil and dirt, it had the suction and discharge shutoff valves missing and the holes in the head were covered with tape. This goes to prove looks can be deceiving and don't judge a book by it's cover. This compressor was like new inside. The pistons were set but a can of WD-40 and hardwood hammer handle soon got the pistons to move. I cleaned the cylinder walls with 2000 grit wet or dry in a honing action and the compressor spins free now.

It's ready for oil now and I can turn to the clutch and brushes now and make it all look like new. I still am clueless on torque specifications for the head and crank cover. I guess as long as they are tight and even torque it should be fine since I didn't mess with the rod bolts.

I plan to use a refrigerant I bought on eBay. It's compatible with both R134A and R12 and works great because I filled my son's system on his van and it blows cold. I guess the proof is in the pudding.

The oil I removed looked brown and smelled burned but was probably just old. I'll stay away from the mineral oil and try the other since the refrigerant cans say R134A on them.

I have a rebuilt drier and NOS hoses. I opted to use the original evaporator and R12 expansion valve. I still have to clean up, paint and pressure test the condensor and comb a few fins straight. All the old oil is out of the system.

Thanks again for the oil capacity and type.

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

One thing to rememeber is that mineral oil is a better lubricant than PEG. You may get premature wear from PEG. If the refrigerant can use the mineral oil, it is better for the system.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• JBird
            Experienced
            • May 22 2005

>One thing to rememeber is that mineral oil is a better
            >lubricant than PEG. You may get premature wear from PEG. If
            >the refrigerant can use the mineral oil, it is better for
            >the system.
            >
            >Alexander
            >1959 Hardtop
            >1960 Golde Top

Just ran across this.

Recommended Procedures for Sanden R-12 Compressors Retrofitted with R134a
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The use of R134a in mobile A/C systems designed for R-1 2 refrigerant causes higher discharge pressures (as much as 10-15%) and necessitates changing the compressor lubricant from mineral oil (5GS) to PAG oil (Sanden's SP-10 or SP-20) to ensure compatibility.

These changes result in greater wear to the internal components of the compressor. Therefore, to ensure consistent and expected reliability, Sanden does not recommend using R134a in systems and compressors designed for R-1 2.

============

I wonder if the same applies to York.

Comment

• JBird
              Experienced
              • May 22 2005

ps:

I am filling the system with Johnsen's FREEZE 12

Automotive Refrigerant which replaces R-12 so mineral oil may work.

Comment

• JBird
                Experienced
                • May 22 2005

FAQ's

Freeze 12 works with the existing mineral oil and does not require lubricant replacement as R-134a does.

Found the answer Alexander. Mineral Oil it is!

Comment

• JBird
                  Experienced
                  • May 22 2005

R-12 Compressor Oil

NAPA #209500

Mineral Oil
                  Wax Free

$9.00/qt.

Comment

• Alexander
                    Webmaster
                    • Oct 30 2002

Sounds like a good refrigerant. Some of the early R12 replacements such as OZ-12 were petroleum based and highly flammable.

Alexander
                    1959 Hardtop
                    1960 Golde Top
                    Alexander
                    1959 Hard Top
                    1960 Golde Top
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢