X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

Loose power steering belt

Well guys, another little problem, one of my belts is squealing, I suspect its the power steering belt, it's quite a bit looser then the other two, how do you get that one tight, I tried pulling back on the pump pully, but it still has about 1 inch flex. Any tricks I need to know? Thanks!
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you can't get it tight holding it by hand use a tire iron or flat bar to hold it while you tighten it.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbirdmike63
      Experienced
      • May 4 2017

Should I pry against the pump itself, or is there a safer place to pry against?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Whatever you pry against make sure it's solid metal. I'm not talking about using alot of force. Just enough to take up some slack in the belt. You don't want the belt so tight that there's no slack at all.

John

Comment

• tbirdmike63
          Experienced
          • May 4 2017

Yeah, since I ghve air conditioning, there is very little room for even a pry bar, I might have to use a floor jack and a piece if wood and push it up from the bottom.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
            Experienced
            • May 4 2017

Ok, I got it, easier then I thought, I used a small crow bar, all good now, thanks for the help.

Comment

• NC Tbird
              Experienced
              • May 17 2021

I have a similiar issue, while I can tighten the belt, I still get a squeal. Is it better to use a notched belt or a solid belt?
              Belt dressing only helps temporarily...

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I assume you are talking about your 1960 Tbird and not a 1964-66 Tbird. It's important that you post in the correct forum as the parts are different from year to year. For example in the Ford parts book your 1960 shows as having a 37" length and 1/2" wide belt which is different from 1958 and 1959 which show a 38 1/2" long belt and 3/8" wide with or without AC. The Ford parts book does not list a different belt with or without AC for the 1960 Tbird while most aftermarket parts places do. What size do you have? I don't think it makes a difference whether it's solid or notched. I prefer to use solid if you can find one.

John
                Last edited by jopizz; April 4, 2024, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• NC Tbird
                  Experienced
                  • May 17 2021

Sorry, wrong age group - my bad.
                  Yes, my 1960 w/o AC.
                  1 belt for Alternator (7440 (?) and 1 belt for ps (7390 was too long, had to go to a 7380)
                  Bird House has a pair but it has the 7390 So i will have to go to the local parts house, cant seem to find solid belts.
                  Is there a spec as to how much tension should be on the belts?

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here is the procedure outlined in the manual if you want to get technical. I just press down on the belt midway between the PS pulley and the crank pulley with my thumb and look for about 1/4-1/2" of deflection.

John

ps belt tension.jpg

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by NC Tbird
                      1 belt for Alternator (7440 (?) and 1 belt for ps (7390 was too long, had to go to a 7380)
                      Bird House has a pair but it has the 7390 So i will have to go to the local parts house, cant seem to find solid belts.
                      For some reason the Ford parts book shows that the belt was changed in 1960 from a 38 1/2" length 3/8" width to a 37" length 1/2" width. Try a 9370. It shouldn't matter if it's ribbed or not.

John

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎