X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidmij
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 17 2011

59 disc brake source

Has anyone seen, or used these guys for their disc brake conversion? scroll down to Part # DBC7 - $399.

Thx, Dave

Sounds like you have to change your spindles.

Comment

• davidmij
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 17 2011

Yeah, that's what I don't know. I think the kit from T-bird ranch lets you use the original spindles. I'll send these guys a questions and see if they need changed.
      I don't mind the 15" rims cuz I was planning on going to them anyway for the cheater slicks I want to use.
      I'll see what they say and let you know.

Comment

• Howard Prout
        Experienced
        • Feb 11 2009

"Scarebird" has brackets that fit on the rear side of the axle. Then you need S-10 callipers and Mustang rotors. You can use 14" x 6" rims. No need to change spindles and no interference with the sway bar. That's the setup on my '59.
        sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• davidmij
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 17 2011

I think I remember reading that in the worlds longest thread, "disk brake conversion" Howard. Do you remember what year Mustang rotors and S-10 calipers? Or roughly what they cost?

thx, Dave

Comment

• Dakota Boy
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 30 2009

scarebird has all the stuff you need in a kit.

when I get sick of my front drums, that's the guy I'm calling...
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

You may be surprised how much good info is in that long thread from folks like me who have a working, driving, aligned setup - not a vague advertisement Wonder why their ad is so vague if they have it figured out? The original master cy is a drum master cy - nothing mentioned about that.

If they tell you to use a mid 70's Torino, Thunderbird, or other full size Ford spindle (which the ad says is not included) then they have not assembled their "kit" on a car and had it aligned. I used those first. They do "fit" but the car won't align. (a VW spindle might "fit"). Notice there are no backing plates. The brackets they have and the fact that they state that the spindles are not included might mean you use your original front spindles - why not have all that info listed???

Let us know what they say - but I'll be surprised if they can answer any questions or give you any references of folks that have used their "kit"

Good luck

Eric
              registry 5347
              Last edited by DKheld; March 26, 2011, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Eric is absolutely right. Talk with guys who actually DID their conversion successfully. If it isn't tried and proven, don't waste your money.

If I might be critical of the kit you posted, it doesn't use the 9/16" bolt. This is a VERY important safety factor. Your shoes use it (that big stud on the top) to stop against. It only makes sense that your caliper should use is, too. In the DBC kit, it is missing.

I do NOT know of a 'kit' that Scarebird offers. He simply sells his brackets without rotors or calipers. Also note that 1958-'60 Thunderbirds use the exact same spindle as full-size Fords, so they take the same Scarebird bracket:
                CLICK HERE

I use this setup on my original '59 Galaxie spindles and I couldn't be happier. I use 15" Cragar SS wheels with no spacers with no problems.

Howard Prout uses the Scarebird setup with 14" 'Granada'-type rims, and he's very happy too.

I'm not trying to sell anything here, but I speak from experience. The Scarebird bracket is much beefier and safer than the DBC7 bracket (check out Pic #20-on and pay attention to the counterbored bushing that gets bolted with that huge 9/16" bolt).

You can make your best deal for rotors and calipers at your local or mail order auto parts store. That's exactly what I wanted because there's no sense in overpaying for shipping iron when you can purchase your guaranteed parts locally. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Howard Prout
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 11 2009

The cost of my parts were:
                  Calliper brackets - Scarebird - $147.50
                  1968 Mustang rotors - CarQuest - $108/pr.
                  1994 S-10 callipers - NAPA - $22/pr + $19/pr core deposit
                  Calliper bolts - Automotive warehouse - $10
                  Banjo bolts - Automtoive warehouse - $8
                  Calliper bracket bolts & nuts - 2 - 9/16" x 2 1/2" Grade 8 course thread - Bolt & Nut Supply - 11$

When I did the conversion I also replaced the wheel bearings, grease seals, flex hoses and brake lines.
                  Last edited by Howard Prout; March 27, 2011, 09:14 AM. Reason: additions

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 30 2009

Howard, what size wheels do you run?
                    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• davidmij
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jan 17 2011

Thx everybody, Eric, I think your point is spot on. Too many "if's" going with a kit no one has used before. My intention was to replace all the existing HW except put in a dual cylinder for safety. Not because I want to go original, but because I just want to get it to the point where I can drive it. Then last weekend I ended up having to work all weekend and came into some extra cash. Sooo, I figured I might as well do the disc thing - it'll save me doing it twice, thus be cheaper in the long haul. I did take several hours and read that entire thread Eric, and I agree, it has all kinds of good info. The pix Simplyconnected posted are GREAT and have convinced me that Scarebird is the way to go - the same price (roughly) as the ones I found on line.
                      I can't tell what all comes with the kit from scarebird? Is it just the mounting plate and spacer?
                      I saved (cut and paste) notes from when I read the long thread. I'll have to go back to it. If I remember correctly I'll need to go with a power booster because the K and H one on the car isn't really power brakes, it's just power assist and isn't enough for disc brakes??? Yes, No?
                      Howard, what M/C setup did you use?
                      Thx to everyone for the help.
                      - Dave

Comment

• Howard Prout
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 11 2009

I'm running on 14" x 6 " rims - I think they are off a Grenada. You need 6" tubeless rims to clear the calliper. I got the MC and booster from Old Irish Dave - both are MTM. You will also need a combination valve - either Ford or GM will work. I think Old Irish Dave sells them for about $25. I tried several used combination valves but they didn't work so bought a new one - happened to be GM because that is what the store had in stock. It cost a lot more than what OID sells them for but I needed it right away.

BTW, the calliper brackets from Scarebird come with a bearing spacer that fits onto the exisiting axle stub. The Mustang rotors work with the bearing spacer on the exisiting axle stub.

Comment

• Howard Prout
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 11 2009

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
                          Hey Guys,
                          If Dave is going to go that route how about Ebay #350450594143? Looks like a complete kit with the scarbird brackets!
                          Richard D. Hord
                          I don't think they are scarebird brackets and they require 15" rims. If you go to scarebirds web site http://scarebird.com/index.php?id=34 you will see that his brackets have an offset to accomodate the calliper. BTW, I see his price is now $155/set. As I recall simplyconnected has an arrangement with scarebird for a discounted price for Squarebird members. PM him if he doesn't post a comment on this. If you go to the "Disc Brake Conversion" thread, in post #220 I included a couple of pictures of the installation on my car. I am attaching some additional photos. The first shows the axle shaft with the old backing plate removed. The second shows the axle shaft ready for the new bracket. The third shows the new bracket in place. The fourth shows the new collar for the grease seal in place and the fifth shows the assembly with the rotor mounted on the axle shaft. The sixth shows the final assembly. The last pix shows a scarebird bracket with calliper and pads - note the offset in the bracket that allows it to fit over the axle stub and bolt to the existing spindle.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Howard Prout; March 27, 2011, 11:11 AM. Reason: additions

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

Howard, your pictures are really good! I like the last one because it effectively shows the offset that cannot be duplicated by using a flat plate.

PLEASE! If you buy a kit, don't buy one like this, that uses just two mounting bolts (close to the center of the spindle). Your shoes stopped against that huge 9/16" bolt at the top. Your calipers should too. This is a fine example of what to stay far away from:
                            Attached Files

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Howard Prout
                              ...If you go to scarebirds web site http://scarebird.com/index.php?id=34 you will see that his brackets have an offset to accomodate the calliper. BTW, I see his price is now $155/set. As I recall simplyconnected has an arrangement with scarebird for a discounted price for Squarebird members...
                              Scarebird's pricing is a bit odd. He lists the Full Size Ford brackets for $145, and the T-bird for $155. If you click on either price, they go to the same web page because they are the same bracket.

Scarebird offers a discount to H.A.M.B Alliance members (I'm one) and to repeat customers (that's me too). Before you order, PM me. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎