• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spk99
    Experienced
    • Oct 25 2018

1958 convertible top

Hi all - first time poster.
    I am in the market for a 58-60 convertible.
    I’ve found a 58 at a dealer.
    They say the roof mechanism isn’t working but it can be operated manually.
    I’m in Australia and the car is in the US
    I will organise an inspection if I decide to go ahead but my question is - did all 58s have an automatic top?
    I only ask as the video they sent showing manual operation shows no solenoid on the deck lid.
    Would it operate manually if an automatic mechanism was there?
    Thanks in advance
    Steve
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1958 convertible top

Hi Steve and welcome to the Forum! I just sent you a Private Message with information you need to know. Please follow up on that. Especially since you are interested in a '58-'60 Convertible from the USA. From what Bill ~ Penelope and others Down Under tell me, importing a classic car from the USA has become a lot more difficult there these days.

Regarding the 1958, though it is the rarest of the three years of Squarebirds, there are some things that you need to know about that year. It did not have leaf springs in the rear because there was a plan, it is said, to air bag it. But that did not happen. It has shock absorbers on the rear, and probably four of them up front, two on each side. It is difficult to find parts for the rear end of the '58, especially rubber bushings from what I understand. Some owners have opted to replace the shocks with leaf springs.

Regarding the convertible top, in 1958 and 1959, it was a manual set up. In 1960 they went to a space age automatic convertible top that many have had problems with. Mainly from not exercising it on a regular basis.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

When Ray says the top is manual that only refers to the trunk lid. That has to be opened by hand. The convertible top itself is not manual. It opens using a switch in the trunk. I suggest you read the 1958 convertible top manual that is in the Technical Resource Library. It will have all the information on how the top works with detailed pictures. If the top is not going up and down using the switch it is extremely heavy and not easily done by hand.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• sidewalkman
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 14 2015

Over and above that, be aware that the 58 is a one year only coil rear springs model, 59 and 60 both moved to leaf springs. I've never found the interior of a 58 to be particularly attractive
        Scott
        South Delta, BC, Canada
        1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
        Red Leather Interior!
        www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
        Thunderbird Registry #61266
        http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Spk99
          Experienced
          • Oct 25 2018

Thanks for that. Is there much of a difference in the interiors between 58-60? I can't see it apart from the seats

Comment

• Spk99
            Experienced
            • Oct 25 2018

Thanks John - much appreciated

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Spk99
              Thanks for that. Is there much of a difference in the interiors between 58-60? I can't see it apart from the seats
              1958 and 1959 interiors are basically the same except for some color differences. 1960 has different seat patterns and door/trim panels.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Spk99
                Experienced
                • Oct 25 2018

Thanks for accepting me Ray. Yes, unfortunately importing is much more difficult to Australia than it was mainly due to potential asbestos use on the cars. We also get slapped with a large tax when it lands here. But, so many thing in Australia are difficult so we are used to I suppose. Thanks for the info on the roof and the suspension. Im not a mechanic so can I ask, if you know of course, what people convert to leaf springs?

Comment

• p38fighter
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Oct 14 2016

The 60 interior mounts differently to the door. I'm doing a 60 interior in my 59.
                  Last edited by p38fighter; October 25, 2018, 09:04 PM. Reason: missed a word

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1958 convertible top

Steve, I do not know what percentage of '58 owners have converted to leaf springs, but a number of them have... If you do a Search on this Forum for 1958 leaf springs, you should find a number of post regarding the 1958 rear end that might get you some additional information..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• sidewalkman
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by jopizz
                      1958 and 1959 interiors are basically the same except for some color differences. 1960 has different seat patterns and door/trim panels.

John
                      There is a lot more stainless in a 60, the band under the dash that continues onto the door panels is all stainless in a 60, and a few other minor changes. More cosmetic in the interior and exterior.
                      Scott
                      South Delta, BC, Canada
                      1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                      Red Leather Interior!
                      www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                      Thunderbird Registry #61266
                      http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢