X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

Drum Brake Service

I need some advice on drum service or replacement.

My drum brakes work fine now that I added a power booster last year. I adjusted front, rear, and parking brake according to Hoyle. Because I'm a nerd, I'd like to OH all 4 corners next Winter just because I don't know the history of the system including the rear lines which look old.

Should you turn drums when you change shoes as you would rotors? If replacing drums, there are many to choose from. I like the Centric brand, but would appreciate a quality brand suggestion.

Dean
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Deanj
    Should you turn drums when you change shoes as you would rotors? If replacing drums, there are many to choose from. I like the Centric brand, but would appreciate a quality brand suggestion.

Dean
    Yes, you should have the drums checked and if need be have them turned. I prefer Raybestos drums. The price between Centric and Raybestos is just about the same. Despite what the parts books say the front and rear drums are the same.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

Thanks John. Are there any upgrades to brake cylinders or shoes you recommend?

Dean

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've used Centric, Raybestos and Wagner wheel cylinders. I haven't noticed any problems with any of them although I believe the Centric had a metric bleeder valve instead of SAE. As for brake shoes I know there are new compounds available that are supposed to eliminate a lot of the heat and brake fade associated with drum brakes but I don't know if they are available for squarebirds.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• partsetal
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 4 2005

As for lining, I prefer the riveted. The friction material used is softer than that of the bonded. Minor increase in braking efficiency.
          Carl

Comment

• Deanj
            Super-Experienced
            • Nov 26 2015

Thank you gentlemen.

The only drums I serviced before installing right front bearings, seals, and race on my 1960 were the emergency brakes on a 2006 Charger RT. Everyone talks front disc, but I think these drums work fine as long as you have power assist. I watched someone rebuild '65 Mustang drums on You Tube, and these looked so good after that I just have to do mine next year.

Dean

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎