X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Cleaning Whitewalls!

Tom ~ scumdog, sent me this information and a picture to post. If anyone has some good ways to clean whitewall tires, I am sure a lot of people would appreciate it.

"Hi Ray,
    As mentioned in the past I have popped a question or two on Square birds about cleaning whitewalls. The only thing I can clean my white walls with has been kerosene or turps. You can see the result of me cleaning part way round in this photo of my Thunderbird tyre.

The brown stain just slowly appears over time and every few months I get a work-out making the whitewalls White. Maybe you could post this on Anything Goes and see if anybody has any idea (a) why the whitewalls go brown and (b) a better (easier?) way to make them white - and keep them white! Regards, Tom"

Here is the picture Tom sent.
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

I don't think petroleum products should be used to clean tires. It might be the source of that stain. Does it appear on the bottom of the parked tire?

Wesley's Bleach White is what I use.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
      Super-Experienced
      • Dec 23 2008

I had the same browning on a set from Goodyear. They would turn brown just sitting in the garage after a few weeks - even though no sunlight hit them and the car was not driven. From what I was able to research they are turning brown from the inside caused by their manufacturing methods. Finally gave up and painted them black. Beside this car was my 57 which has Diamondback wide whites and no problems - proving it wasn't something in the garage atmosphere as some had suggested. Good luck and hope you find a cure to keep them clean. I didn't.

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Yep, same problem as you Joe - the whitewalls slowly go brown just sitting in the garage.
        I have tried tyre cleaner, Prepsol, 'Handy Andy' (an ammonia based household cleaner) 'Jiff' (a mildly abrasive household cleaner) Autosol metal polish and even Brasso ( which worked as well as kerosene - but costs more!).
        And treating them with tyre dressing doesn't stop the brown reappearing.
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• bird 60
          Super-Experienced
          • Mar 18 2009

Hi Tom, I've had my Coker 2 1/2" Whitewalls for about 6 years now. I don't get any browning at all. The only thing that I get is Brake dust. I use " Jiff " with a scourer & they look like new again.
          What Brand are your Tires?

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by bird 60
            Hi Tom, I've had my Coker 2 1/2" Whitewalls for about 6 years now. I don't get any browning at all. The only thing that I get is Brake dust. I use " Jiff " with a scourer & they look like new again.
            What Brand are your Tires?

Chris.....From OZ.
            Hi Chris, yep, I even tried 'Jiff'! In fact I don't think there is anything I DIDN'T try!
            They are a budget tyre that cost ( from memory!) around $140 each, they are Langivator 'Primetour' tyres, 215/75R/15".
            They are on 7"X15" rims.

Comment

• Deanj
              Super-Experienced
              • Nov 26 2015

Here's a second nod to Wesley's Bleach White. I have even heard use of 2000 grit sandpaper on bad cases, but that has to be destructive by nature. BTY, 2000 grit works wonders on stainless wheel covers that are stained.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

To chime in. I use orange pumus containing lanolin, similar to what the mechanics use to clean their hands after a day turning wrenches. Works great
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• scumdog
                  Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Well, a mate suggested using a green scotchbrite pad to scrub the whitewall.

I used one that I regularly dipped in a bucket of wash & wax car shampoo and gave the whitwalls a good scrubbing.

And wouldn't ya know - it worked!

About six weeks or more have gone by since I tried this trick and the whitewalls are still white!

Comment

• OX1
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by scumdog
                    Well, a mate suggested using a green scotchbrite pad to scrub the whitewall.

I used one that I regularly dipped in a bucket of wash & wax car shampoo and gave the whitwalls a good scrubbing.

And wouldn't ya know - it worked!

About six weeks or more have gone by since I tried this trick and the whitewalls are still white!
                    I used to use the green scotchbrites, but sometimes the "green" would get permanently stained into the white. I usually use a small scrubbrush and fantastick.

If it's really a stain that won't come out, I've used eastwoods paint prep, but that is more for a scuff that might have happened driving. The only way I've gotten brown stains like that is from a tire sitting for years and year outside.
                    59-430-HT

Comment

• Deanj
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Nov 26 2015

Anyone try toothpaste? It might be cost prohibitive.

Dean

Comment

• OX1
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by Deanj
                        Anyone try toothpaste? It might be cost prohibitive.

Dean
                        Use it for brushing first
                        59-430-HT

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎