X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 63-4drpost
    Experienced
    • Feb 14 2009

427 valves in my 430

Finally got finished installing 427 Ford valves in my 1960 430 T-Bird. I used the 2.19 hollow stem intake valves and the 1.73 sodium filled exhaust valves. Genuine used Ford valves. iwas considering going with the 427 Chevy 1.88" exhaust valves, but ran out of ambish.
    i sent the cam to Oregon Cam Grinders and had it ground to 428 Cobra jet specs. It will be topped with a 750 CFM holley, MSD ignition box .
    i took out a lot of restrictive bumps and sharp edges out of the intake and exhaust ports near the valve seats, so it should help a lot. I also am installing a 3-speed transmission(1963 Ford Galaxie) , floor shiifter, aluminum flywheel, hydraulic clutch linkage. I also installed a power steering rack and pinion from a 2002 Taurus, with the Lincoln 430 crank mounted p/s pump. I did all the work myself, including the heads. More effort than the whole car is worth, but I enjoy trying to make it handle better and go FASTER. Still lookin for some 3.70 gears. Thanks for all the info and help you have given me.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Henry, I love that you fabricated these modern components to fit your '63! Guys like you don't come around often enough.

We would love to see your work. With your permission, please send your pictures to my email address (simplyconnected@aol.com). I can post them for you, here.

A Ford Taurus rack gear would work nicely, and parts are available everywhere. I'm dying to see it. I also did a r/p setup on our '59 Galaxie using a 1982 -92 Cavalier gear and Mustang pump on a 292 Y-Block. It works fantastic especially in parking lots.

Sorry I don't have gears for a nine inch RE, but I do for a Mustang 8.8". - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Taurus R&P ...

Yes some pics would be cool. I've been planing on doing mine if I ever get caught up. I would be very leery of using those old sodium cooled valves. Sodium is very corrosive combine that with their age and they are an accident waiting to happen. Mike

Comment

• 63-4drpost
        Experienced
        • Feb 14 2009

Sodium valves

i know the reputation of the sodium valves, but they are SO LIGHT!!
        The Ford trucks used them, I rebuilt lots of the heads, had no problem with the sodium valves. Maybe I was just lucky . i will take some pictures and get them posted somehow. I warn you, I am NOT Rod Foosee, or what -ever his name is. I do things the quick way, not the pretty way!

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by 63-4drpost

Finally got finished installing 427 Ford valves in my 1960 430 T-Bird. I used the 2.19 hollow stem intake valves and the 1.73 sodium filled exhaust valves. Genuine used Ford valves. iwas considering going with the 427 Chevy 1.88" exhaust valves, but ran out of ambish.

i sent the cam to Oregon Cam Grinders and had it ground to 428 Cobra jet specs. It will be topped with a 750 CFM holley, MSD ignition box .
          Just wondering, did the grinder recommend anti-pump up lifters to allow free use of those lightweight valves? Spring pressure?

I also installed a power steering rack and pinion from a 2002 Taurus, with the Lincoln 430 crank mounted p/s pump. I did all the work myself, including the heads.
          Now this really interests me. Previous conversion attempts with the FORD FWD rack had steering radius problems (turning radius). How did your retrofit turn out?

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎