Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nocontrol
    • Feb 10 2011

No 2-3 shift when cold

My 62 has to be driven maybe 5 miles before it will upshift to 3rd. It has 18 inches of vacuum at modulator and modulator will hold vacuum. Kickdown linkage also appears to be ok. Anyone with thoughts or experience?
    Last edited by YellowRose; March 29, 2014, 01:53 AM.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

All oil absorbs water. Usually, we heat the engine hot enough and frequently enough for the water to vaporize and go out the vent.

So, oil with water will make your clutches and bands operate differently, assuming they are properly adjusted.

Different types of trans oil will also make your clutches and bands work differently. If you stick to the recommended trans fluid type in your owner's manual or shop manual, the trans should operate correctly.

Keep your trans fluid at the correct level at all times. Nothing will kill a trans faster than one with low oil. Band adjustment can be done at the same time as a transmission oil and filter change buy a good transmission shop. Call around and ask if they have experience with your transmission. Most trans shops don't. Cruise-O-Matic and C-6 transmissions were commonplace back in the day. Most modern mechanics see one in a blue moon. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• nocontrol
      • Feb 10 2011

Thanks for the input Dave. I agree that quality,quantity,and type of fluid is important, however in the 60's trans fluid was still being produced with whale oil. Don't think I can get my hands on it anymore. Modern fluid will have to do but what type would you recommend?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I always use Type F fluid since that was the replacement for the Type A that was originally used.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

There were several reasons for not using whale oil (besides protests from the whales). Since the 1970s engines run hotter, and whale oil breaks down with excessive heat. Synthetics are taking over because they do well with hotter environments. (Mercon V has been in vogue since 2006.)

Our classic engines still run cooler and the transmissions do well with Type F, as John mentioned. There is no shortage around Detroit. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎