X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djberson
    Experienced
    • Jun 10 2012

Heater core visible under dash

Today I noticed that the heater core on my '60 is exposed under the dashboard, with the fins very plainly visible above my console on the cowl. I assume this is NOT correct, and I cannot even see how the hot air can be channeled through the air register this way. Another obvious problem is that the passenger compartment gets hot in warm weather. Can anybody comment on this and tell me what, if any covering or insulation is missing?
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

Your plenum is missing. That's the metal inr casing
    Does yours have factory AC?
    If not (like mine) I can send you a pic of what it should look like.
    The htr cores in these things were a nightmare.

Comment

• djberson
      Experienced
      • Jun 10 2012

Yes, a photo would be great. Thanks! This is what I was alarmed to see whilst poking around under my dashboard.

Why would this have been removed? Is it a bear to reinstall? And no, my car did not have A/C originally but does have a very early, possibly dealer installed aftermarket "Frigi-King" unit.
      Last edited by djberson; July 16, 2016, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's certainly not easy to install. You need to remove the passenger side lower dash trim, the glove box and I normally take the radio out also. Here the parts diagram that shows what it looks like. This is without A/C.

John
        Attached Files
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• djberson
          Experienced
          • Jun 10 2012

John, thanks for the diagram. I am confused even more now though. Is the plenum the big metal 18471 thing? I see nothing else in the diagram that resembles a cover for the inside of the core. 18471 appears to be in my car, and the edge of it is visible in the lower right part of my photo. But I am not really understanding the diagram arrows either, actually. Hmmm.... sorry to bother you but can you clarify this? Thanks, Jordan
          Last edited by djberson; July 16, 2016, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The plenum is made up of three different pieces. The box that goes around the core, the long backing piece to the left of the core and the long piece that covers the core and extends from the right end of the core past the radio. With the box in place the core is completely covered.

John

Comment

• djberson
              Experienced
              • Jun 10 2012

Thanks again John. I guess I am now in the market for plenum pieces. Sigh.

Comment

• ekstrandt
                • Feb 8 2016

I think you have the pieces they just need to be reattached. I just removed mine for a aftermarket A/C.
                Attached Files

Comment

• djberson
                  Experienced
                  • Jun 10 2012

Hmm, Does everything seen in your photo go on the passenger compartment side of the firewall? If so, then that box thing around the core is probably the part I am missing. However, these photos do not look like they are the same orientation as mine appears in the photo?

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The third picture is how it looks installed. It extends over just past the radio. The round tubes connect to the defroster ducts.

John

Comment

• Tbird1044
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jul 31 2012

Don't know if these pics will help or not, but this is what I have under the dash. I do have AC, but I think the part your looking for is similar or the same.
                      Nyles
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎