replacement dash pad

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacement dash pad

Greetings from down under,

Firstly let me congratulate you all on having a great website that is a true bounus for all squarebird owners.

I have just bought a 60 hardtop from the U.S and it currently on transit from the U.S to Australia. when i was in the U.S getting the car the only major flaw i could find was that the dash pad had shuffled off its mortal coil and gone to the great wrecking yard in the sky.

because i am soooo far from many thunderbird suppliers, i was wondering if anyone could advise me on a good supplier of a new replacement dash pad, i have seen them advertised from between 3 and 4 hundred U.S dollars but i have no idea on fit or quality, any comment would be appreciated.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: replacement dash pad

Welcome to Squarebirds.org!

I have not seen a Squarebird with an original dashpad. They were prone to warping and the original foam inside eventually turned to dust.

All the replacement dashpads I have seen appear to come from the same manufacturer. They need a lot of work to get them to fit right. The major problem with them is that there is too much foam in them. Some of it needs to be carefully trimmed so the pad can go forward enough against the metal.

I have an unused NOS blue pad. It has the same markings as a replacement pad I bought. Most of the replacements dashpads are black, though a couple of suppliers have white ones. I dyed my white replacment one red. All the placement dashes are of the 1960 style, but will fit the 1958 and 1959.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

John, you can order a new pad from www.larrystbirds.com.
      There is a company in australia that will form a new pad to your repaired foam. Alex has the name of the company, in the state of Washington(U.S.) that ships to australia for the foam fitting. Reply if alex cannot give the info. I have a place in L.A. that will replace and presuure fit the vinyl to the pad. Larrys tbirds ships/sells the dye to spray on, most are black.

carl:*

Comment

ALEX, NEED TO ACQUIRE RED DYE FOR 1960. CAN ONLY FIND SUPPLIERS W/red dye for 1961+ interiors. did you use, 1961-63?, find the right dye color? Where? or have it made up at a paint store? The 60 red is different than 1961+ Which is the only red I can find!
        thank you

carl x( :'(

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

I used the Eastwood vinyl spay dyes with an excellent result on my 1960 dash. They offer two red dyes - Firethorn Red and Portula Red. Portola Red was the closest match. It is a SEM manufactured dye. Be sure to use the vinyl prep first to get good adherance.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

Thank you. I will try the dye to darken the red vinyl on the seats, too!
            carl

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎