Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grobb284
    • Oct 11 2010

Wiring schematic for AC for 1958 Thunderbird

Looking for a wiring schematic for the Air conditioning for a 1958 Thunderbird.

I have the 1958 Thunderbird shop manual, but don't see anything about the air conditioning in it.

A link to a web page, or send me a PM with an attachment of the schematic would be great.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Wiring schematic for AC for 1958 Thunderbird

Check the Technical Resource Library (TRL). The wiring diagrams are in it. See if that does not give you what you are looking for. The link to the TRL is always part of my signature element. Check that out. If that does not do it for you, let us know.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

As I have a Select Aire in my ī58, I also missed that info in my Shop Manual. But I got a tips about a DVD with All 1958 Ford Air Conditioning on Ebay from "Paper-n-parts", so I bought one last year. Cost me 8.99 bucks + shipping. It is VERY GOOD. Shows pretty much everything about the ACīs!
      Here is a link:

Otherwise, perhaps contact Paper and Parts, PO Box 7031, Bryan, OH 43506.
      I see you ( Gene ) already lives in Ohio, so itīs even local
      Last edited by Anders; January 23, 2012, 04:58 PM.
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• grobb284
        • Oct 11 2010

We are transfering the AC from a very nice southern parts car, to our recently repainted silver 1958 Thunderbird, which had no AC. The owner of the restored silver car was owned originally by his father.

Thank you for responding. I had not seen the correct information immediately, however a second look generated more information.

I found a generic drawing in the Ford Service Technician for the 1960 Thunderbird models.

Is the wiring integral with the underhood engine harness, or was this a simple seperate harness of a few wires?

The reason I'm asking, the harness is over 50 years old, and wondering if a new harness is available, or should I make one?

Comment

• grobb284
          • Oct 11 2010

Originally posted by Anders
          As I have a Select Aire in my ī58, I also missed that info in my Shop Manual. But I got a tips about a DVD with All 1958 Ford Air Conditioning on Ebay from "Paper-n-parts", so I bought one last year. Cost me 8.99 bucks + shipping. It is VERY GOOD. Shows pretty much everything about the ACīs!
          Here is a link:
          We specialize in new, used, original and reprinted books, and manuals for all types of automobiles. Chevrolet, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Cadillac, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Honda, Porsche, Street Rat Hot Rod, High Performance, Restoration, Rebuild, Repair, History , more.

Otherwise, perhaps contact Paper and Parts, PO Box 7031, Bryan, OH 43506.
          I see you ( Gene ) already lives in Ohio, so itīs even local
          I had seen that manual in my search for information, and I had been debating whether to purchase it.

Thank you for informing me of its value. I just hit the BIN.

Comment

• Anders
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 19 2008

Will try to scan mine tomorrow and let Ray put it up here, so you can get it for free.
            What I have is a DVD, and that one is scanned from the prints ( no official Ford product what so ever, explaining the low price ), so I have no problem with sharing it.
            But if you have a Laptop in your garage, you might concider bying the DVD as itīs quite convenient to not mess with papers and stuff while wrenching. My normal "original" printed Shop Manual is looking less original for each time I use it...
            Last edited by Anders; January 23, 2012, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

I am in the process of adding A/C to my '60 Tbird that did not originally have air. One thing to keep in mind is many times the brake booster on non-A/C cars is under the hood and A/C cars have the booster under the dash. The evaporator box won't fit on the firewall without moving the brake booster or replacing it with the under dash style. A few other parts are different too but with a donar car that should make it much easier to add to the non-A/C car.

If you get a chance post some pics (particularly of the belt configuration - mine is giving me trouble in that area).

As it happens my Dad bought my Tbird new (without A/C) so we're in the same boat.

Good luck on the project!
              Eric
              registry 5347

Comment

• Anders
                Super-Experienced
                • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by grobb284
                We are transfering the AC from a very nice southern parts car, to our recently repainted silver 1958 Thunderbird, which had no AC. The owner of the restored silver car was owned originally by his father.

Thank you for responding. I had not seen the correct information immediately, however a second look generated more information.

I found a generic drawing in the Ford Service Technician for the 1960 Thunderbird models.

Is the wiring integral with the underhood engine harness, or was this a simple seperate harness of a few wires?

The reason I'm asking, the harness is over 50 years old, and wondering if a new harness is available, or should I make one?

Iīm not at all an expert on this, but perhaps this page can help you? http://www.tbirdranch.com/diagrams/60heatairdiag.gif

More: http://www.tbirdranch.com/diagrams/diagrams.html

I use to have another site regarding the electrics, but I just canīt find it
                Last edited by Anders; January 23, 2012, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• partsetal
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 4 2005

The engine feed harness for the 58 w/A/C is the same as the 59 w/A/C. The difference between the a/c and without engine harness is that the a/c harness has an additional wire to power the a/c clutch, two additional wires to the control box on the evaporator housing, and additional wires to the resistor at the bottom of the fan enclosure. If you need a source for this harness, send me a PM.
                  Carl

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎