X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bird 60
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 18 2009

Surging going uphill

I experienced a surge whilst driving uphill on my way to a Classic Car & Rock "N" Roll Festival last weekend. It was perfectly O.K. on the flat road but going uphill was like it was running out of Fuel. I had to ease off the eccelerator as it gave the impression that it was going to cut out. I had the same experience going back home. I had lots of fuel so that wasn't the problem. I had the same problem when I had my '61 Bullet Bird about 5 years ago. The only difference was the '61 had a mechanical Fuel Pump & I've got an Electric in my '60. My Fuel Filter is located between the Fuel Tank & the Electric fuel Pump. I changed the Fuel Filter in my '61 & did the trick. I plan to do the same with my '60. If that doesn't do the trick can someone advise as to what else it might be

Thank you

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Most likely filter ...

are you running a pressure regulator in conjunction with your elect. pump? Any idea what your fuel press. is under load? Mike

Comment

• Rigormortor
      Experienced
      • Mar 5 2010

I second the fuel filter, I had the same thing happen with my 59 Dodge, climbing a hill it was like it was running out of gas, on a flat it was fine. The filter was full of crud. New filter and now she flys!!
      On Cardomain - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3841411

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

Let us know how the fuel filter goes. If it is clogged up, I would inspect the inside of your fuel tank next....

-Jon in TX.
        sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Anders
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 19 2008

As much as I try to understand, I realy donīt get it. I mean, how can the fuel filter have anything to do with in what level the car drives? If itīs clogged up, itīs pretty much clogged up no matter where you are...
          My guess would be the fuel tank. Something might be loose in there and moves around? The fuel in the tank is the only part that moves around and change while driving on a horizontal road compare to uphill or downhill.
          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Anders
            ...If itīs clogged up, itīs pretty much clogged up no matter where you are...
            Anders, that's true, but climbing a tall hill requires much more gasoline flow over a sustained time. Of course, a restriction anywhere in the line will cause the same affect.

During times like this, I'd love to see the gasoline through a clear gas line. If bubbles appear, the pickup inside the gas tank may be clogged (or starved), or there could be a leak on the inlet side of the pump (introducing air).

Commonly, the fuel filter is the big restrictor. A low float setting could starve the fuel bowl, too. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Rigormortor
              Experienced
              • Mar 5 2010

Originally posted by Anders
              As much as I try to understand, I realy donīt get it. I mean, how can the fuel filter have anything to do with in what level the car drives? If itīs clogged up, itīs pretty much clogged up no matter where you are...
              My guess would be the fuel tank. Something might be loose in there and moves around? The fuel in the tank is the only part that moves around and change while driving on a horizontal road compare to uphill or downhill.

I kind of thought the same thing unti it happened in my car. Going up hill it was like it was running out of gas, on a flat it was fine. It is like a murpheys law thing I think.... and yes, the gas tank would be next, my tank was full of rust and junk. I ended up buying a new tank, then a new carb....
              On Cardomain - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3841411

Comment

• LuckyJay
                • Jan 4 2007

One of the first things I'd be looking at would be the float level in the carburator.

Comment

• bird 60
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Mar 18 2009

Hi Guys, sorry for not replying any earlier with my surging problem. It was what I had hoped for & yes it was the Fuel filter.

Chris....From OZ.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎