This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road
Default Winterizing and Winter Storage

Greetings All -

For those in colder climates, how do you winterize and prepare for storage? I'm going to be needing to store the batmobile in an off-site probably for 5-6 months. Amherst is a first ring suburb of Buffalo - - need I say more..?

Anyway, the frost is almost on the pumpkin and our detached unheated garage will soon be occupied by our day to day cars. So...heated space is what I'm going to shoot for for the Tbird, but it gets kind of expensive here unless you luck into something. Rates seem to be in $40 range per month for secure, dry but unheated space. I haven't got a quote yet for heated, but based on past experience, probably double that for heated.

Other than checking coolant to ensure -20F protection, remove battery, toss a couple moth balls under seat and in trunk for good measure (helps keep mice at bay..or so I've heard?) and of course a good cover, what else should I be thinking about? Is "put her up on blocks" just an expression, or should I be in the market for jack stands?

We had a great time with the car this summer! Had her out for a couple weekend/weeklong adventures in the 150-200mile round trip category. Car drove like a dream and I had no on road issues! We spent a week tooling around the Silver Lake / Letchworth State Park area and had a weekend wedding in Dunkirk NY, with a nice cruise in the Chautauqua County hills ! Went to one of the last remaining Drive-Ins in Perry NY and learned that the over-the-radio sound that replaced the old speaker on the window style does not work on the AM dial!?! Overall put about 1,500 miles in her since spring and did not attend a single car show or cruise night. I did drive by a few on my way to someplace else...

Had to replace that 2 1/8" piece of hose between front of motor and water pump, but fortunately the leak revealed itself with a puddle on the garage floor so was no big deal. It was also fortunate that this happened, because when I removed the expansion tank to get at the hose, I saw that the thermostat wasn't seated properly, and replaced it with a 160degree, and I think that made a big improvement in my TEMP gauge readings.

For next season I'm going to look into getting the electric wiper kit...I probably have a vacuum leak somewhere but I tried to find it and didn't and I don't think its worth messing with that old system any further. Hopefully the swap-out will be within my means technically...
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 09-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

$40 a month is great, I'd have a fleet of cars if storage was that cheap. As for tires, I cut out sections of scrap plywood to park the car on as a barrier from the moist concrete. On a second car, went to a yard and bought 4 compact spare tires to bolt on the car. They are easy to store in summer and the car can still be moved in the winter if needed.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

I did a search for you several ways. The one that worked best for me was winter storage As a result of that search I found this information. Click on this link and it should give you more information as to what others do before winter storage.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...earchid=274322

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 09-19-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:53 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Battery Tender Plus

Stabil in a full tank of gas.

As much anti mouse gear as you can muster. They can easily ruin your headliner or other areas.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Super-Experienced

SandyBoy is on a distinguished road

I, in New Jersey, pay $150.00 @ month for heated to 65 degrees indoor, illuminated safe & secure storage.
I cover the car with a good cover and I disconect the battery terminal and I have the protection of anti-freeze checked, just for fun, and put like 4 x-tra pounds of air in the tires. Prior to this, I have the oil & ild filter replaced. I do not "crack" open a window. I put a citrenella candle iuder the car, as things with 4 feet hate the smell. That's about it. Been doing it for many many years & nothing bad has happened. It's a commercial place, owned by 1 man, called Car-Condo. It holds 6 cars that have the ability to go out, if & when owner needs to and 3 spaces for cars that are not leaving until like May 1. Remote control for doors, 1 is given to each renter. Plenty of overhead flourscent lighting. It's alarmed to fire & police, but little can burn as it's all concrete flooring, walls, ceiling. I was there today. It's pretty hidden off of the normal road, in back of another building that shield the Car-Condo.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:14 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by del View Post
Greetings All -
For those in colder climates, how do you winterize and prepare for storage?
In a warm garage.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 09-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
I did a search for you several ways. The one that worked best for me was winter storage As a result of that search I found this information. Click on this link and it should give you more information as to what others do before winter storage.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...earchid=274322
Hi Ray - I tried your link but it came back with No Matches Found message. What did you use for search terms? Thanks, Don
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 09-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE427 View Post
$40 a month is great, I'd have a fleet of cars if storage was that cheap. As for tires, I cut out sections of scrap plywood to park the car on as a barrier from the moist concrete. On a second car, went to a yard and bought 4 compact spare tires to bolt on the car. They are easy to store in summer and the car can still be moved in the winter if needed.
Hi Ken - I understand your idea with the scrap plywood. I was thinking I would lay out an old plastic tarp on the floor. But I don't get what you are saying with the compact spare tires. Are you saying that you swap out your good tires/wheels for the compacts for storage purposes?

I found a heated storage space yesterday (stays at 50 degrees during winter) for $70/month and is not too far away. He stores 15 vehicles, it is dry, clean and secure, but it's a in once/out once situation - - no real access to the car while in storage. Seems like a pretty good deal so I'm going for it from roughly Halloween until April 1. I have not been lucky enough to find anyone around here that provides storage (heated or not) where you can have access to tinker over the long winter months. That would be great!
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 09-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by del View Post
Are you saying that you swap out your good tires/wheels for the compacts for storage purposes?
Yes, I offered this as an option to blocking the car.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Sorry Don, I grabbed the wrong webpage. I used the words winter storage to get this. You will find several tips there that might be useful to you. But I see you are getting some good information from others.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...earchid=274412

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm