X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trim code 76
    Experienced
    • Aug 3 2006

Detent plate question

Ok, I put the new detent plate in according to the direction on the website (very helpful!!). I put everything back together and ran the gear selector through the gears and it went smoothly into each, Park was nice and tight with no slippage. Low (L) position seamed slightly off with the selectory having to really be put all the way down for it to be in that position and then it seam to be bairly in position (I never put it in that position anyway). I went to start the car and nothing. I had to give just the slightest bit of upward lift on the selector and then it started right up. Before I had to lift up a lot on gear shift to be able to start and it was very sloppy in park. Now it is very tight. I am wondering if it is ok to leave it as is (safe) and have this be a sort of an anti theft device in that you have to know to lift up slightly to start the car (most people would not know this). If there is an adjustment I need to do please let me know. Seams to be a big improvement though!
    Greg

Hey Greg,
    Sounds like your neutral switch maybe out of adjustment.
    If you put your head in the floor board under the steering wheel just below the dash you will see the neutral safety switch on the steering column. Loosen the screws and move it one way try it. If that don't work loosen it and move it the other way. HAVE YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE WHEN TRYING TO START HER! Adjust till you get it right. It should not start in gear!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• trim code 76
      Experienced
      • Aug 3 2006

Thanks Richard! I will try it next week. Good luck with Christine, Hope you get all the info!!!
      Greg

Comment

• trim code 76
        Experienced
        • Aug 3 2006

Richard,
        YOU WERE SPOT ONE!!!! I slid the neutral safety swithc over to one side and I could not crank the car at all, even with the lever pulled up. Then I moved it in the other direction and low and behold... starts like brand new!!! THIS NEEDS TO BE ADDED TO THE WRITE UP ON THE DETENT PLATE REPLACEMENT!!! Thanks again brother squarebird!!
        Greg

Comment

Hey Greg,
          You are more than welcome! That's what we are here for is to help each other! Together we can keep these Thunderbirds on the road where they belong!!!
          Richard D. Hord

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by trim code 76
            (most people would not know this).

Greg
            Regarding this: Most people who have worked on/owned older cars know that quite often this is the case - having to lift the shift-lever to get the car to start.

So it would only be a young punk who wouldn't know this - and not many young punks want Thunderbirds these days!!
            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Hey Tom,
              I hope you are wrong about these young people and old cars! My son wants both my 1978 and my 1960 Thunderbirds. As long as they don't chop, drop, channel or bag these old Birds, more power to them! I hope they keep the dream we have alive!!!
              THUNDERBIRDS FOREVER!!!
              Richard D. Hord

Comment

Hey Guys,
                Hate to ramble on, but we need to get back on subject at hand! Detent plate question!
                Richard D. Hord

Comment

• JohnG
                  John
                  • Jul 28 2003

for future reference I have a link to this thread in the Technical Resources Library adjacent to the link to Alexander's detent installation instructions.
                  1958 Hardtop
                  #8452 TBird Registry
                  http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                  history:
                  http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎