X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tp tbird
    Experienced
    • Dec 17 2007

430 wrist pins

I'm new to this place so I don't know what I am doing ,please help.I am getting a 430 engine rebuilt for my 59 tbird convertible and put new pistons in but the rods are .003 over and i can't use the pins that came with the pistons in the rebuilt kit.Can anybody tell me where I might get .003 over wrist pins for a 1959 430 mel engine?Thanks tp tbird
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Welcome.

Try http://www.egge.com/ .
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• tp tbird
      Experienced
      • Dec 17 2007

430wrist pins

Thanks,the place where i got my rebuild kit give me Egge's phone number today.He give me a couple of numbers to try.I just sent them a e-mail about the pins soooooo I will see if they can help,thanks again
      Last edited by tp tbird; December 17, 2007, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• Husky35
        Apprentice
        • Jun 29 2006

MEL help

Try the MEL forum http://www.network54.com/Forum/257364/ they have lots of very good experts and have been through it a few times. Got lots of help building my 430 for my 59 convertible. Just some things to consider.. go with a FE High Volume oil pump and ditch the vacuum system.

Comment

• tp tbird
          Experienced
          • Dec 17 2007

430 wrist pins

Thanks for the help,my engine builder has found them and also Egge's wrote me and they have them also.tp

Comment

• tp tbird
            Experienced
            • Dec 17 2007

1959 430 tbird Convertibles

Does anyone have any idea how many of the 1959 430 tbird covertibles are still around.I got mine last year and had to get the motor and transmission redone.I stripped the paint and it is in primer now.It also has air conditioning,I would like to find someone that has one that might send me some pictures of the engine.When I got mine the carb was off and would like to see how some of the lines are run.I have a Carter carb that is correct,but don't know if there is a spacer or not for this engine.
            I also have a 1959 hardtop restored with a 352,but have found alot of differents between the two.TP

Comment

• bcomo
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 23 2005

The carb number should be 2853S for the 59 430.

The spacer should be a tapered spacer. They are still available new, but I can't remember who has them at this minute. The large end of the spacer goes toward the firewall.
              Bart
              1960 Hard Top/430
              Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• bcomo
                Super-Experienced
                • Sep 23 2005

tp tbird:

I made a mistake -- the low end of the spacer goes to the rear -- the high end goes to the front. This levels the carb.

I should have looked before I typed.
                Bart
                1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• GTE427
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Oct 9 2007

Here are some picutres of my 59 430. The fuel and the vacuum line came from a 59 Lincoln, I believe the fuel to be correct, not so sure the vacuum is correct on the 430 Tbird. The Glass bowl Filter is a reproduction from a small bird vendor, a canister type was used on the 60 430 which may be safer than the glass one. My heater hoses aren't routed correctly, (moved one for the photo)there's a bracket I'd like to locate and Alexander has refered us to correct style heater hoses in another post, which will be installed this spring.

There is a Tbird registry, once you figure out the sort, the 430 convertibles appear at the end, think there were only about twenty registered. The site cannot accept any more, so my car for one is missing as so may be yours. The registry is only accurate for what has been listed, who knows what else lies out there to be discovered.
                  Attached Files
                  Ken
                  1959 J Convertible
                  1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• tbird430
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 18 2007

That is correct, there is a metal fuel filter that threads into the end of the fuel pump, then the fuel line screws directly into the filter then runs to the Carter carb. The entire engine should be semi-flat black though, with gloss black valve covers, and a white air cleaner. A white fan blade is also used on the 4-blade (non-A/C) 430's, while a black 5-blade fan was used on the rarer A/C equipped 430's....
                    sigpic
                    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• tp tbird
                      Experienced
                      • Dec 17 2007

Thanks for the pictures posted of the top of the engine.Most of the ones I have seen have the air cleaner on or they are missing parts.The 1959 430 convertible I am working on has A/C,but the part in front of the radiator was gone when I got the car last year.It looks like it has all macthing numbers,I just got the transmission back from a rebuild and the engine should be done in a few days.

Comment

• Alexander
                        Webmaster
                        • Oct 30 2002

What do you mean by matching numbers? Fords of these years do not have matching numbers. You can reasonably assume an engine is original if it dated within a month before the build date.
                        Alexander
                        1959 Hard Top
                        1960 Golde Top
                        sigpic

Comment

• tp tbird
                          Experienced
                          • Dec 17 2007

The block, heads, intake and right exhaust manifold starts with B9ME except the left exhaust it starts with B9LE .

Comment

• bcomo
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Sep 23 2005

tp tbird:

Where did you get the rebuild parts for the 430 -- especially the pistons? Is it a package?

I may need this very soon.

Thanks
                            Bart
                            1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• tp tbird
                              Experienced
                              • Dec 17 2007

I got the engine parts from Fast Engine Parts on E-bay master kit ,but I called them to talk and deal with .The pistons are not like the orginals ,these are flat on top.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎