• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackbird60
    Experienced
    • Nov 28 2008

Back Home To The Squarebird - Eng Question

HI ALL!

Good to be back again, for good. Had a 60 bird with a sunroof, sold it and had big regrets after doing it. Of course there is a story behind why i sold it. (later maybe)

Anyway, was looking at some of the flarebirds which are very nice cars as well, and share some design features with the squarebirds. They are about 500 lbs heavier. Anyway, i saw this nice convertible almost bought it. Right before i was going to pickup the phone and buy it, (already drove it and we agreed on a price) i saw this beautiful 58 black bird on ebay in floridar recently painted just 3 years ago, only driven 20 miles in last 3 years.

Many important components including new crate 352 engine and repaired heads & front suspension are relatively new. Brand new wide white radials, gen, starter, brakes pump etc, etc. Power windows, brakes/steering all for a very very good price. It's going to be shipped to me soon, just need to check it out first & give him the balance.

I know the big difference between this and the other 59 & 60 birds are the rear coil springs and their problems, but it's a classic, it's beautiful, and it's not like i am going to race it around corners.

He states it has a 2 bbl carb which is puzzling because all came with 4 bbl. Hope this is not a 332. He claims it's not. You can't tell the different between them. Even the casting number is the same, so i am told.

Anyway to distinguish this besides knowing the stroke is longer on the 352??

Anyway, glad to be back, and really happy with it. Can't wait to get behind the wheel.

Since i sold my 60 bird, i have gone thru a 66 Mustang convert with a 6 cyl, it was it great cond. And sold that after 6 mos. A 56 Pontiac 4 dr Catalina which is nice, but now about to selling that.

My wife thinks i am crazy, but she been great about it all. Again, i am jumping up and down, and i haven't been this happy about buying a car in a long, long time!

Don't sell your squarebirds!! Ever!!

JACK
    Last edited by JohnG; January 29, 2010, 06:58 AM. Reason: changed case

Jack, thanks for doing your post, however with all due respect to you, I was not able to get through your entire text without becoming confused. I believe it is my lack of ability to read and understand text written in all CAPITAL LETTERS. All capital letter texting is often time compared to shouting or yelling. Perhaps that is why it is difficult for me to cipher out the questions contained in your posting. Please do pardon my asking, but could you perhaps be so kind as to repost the gist of your specific question in 'Upper/lower' case text?

Perhaps someone else may have read your post and will have been able to provide you with the information you are looking for. Thanks for your understanding.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Hi Jack,
      I got an uncle in Naperville (on Princeton Cir, just off 75th), and a sister in Woodridge.

I can feel your excitement over the pending purchase of your next Squarebird. Can you show us a picture or two of the engine?

This 'bird sounds like it has had different engines over its life. Is it possible someone has installed a 312 Y-Block? Have you got nuts on top of the valve covers? It may sound far fetched, but that was one of the original Thunderbird engines, and it bolts right up to all those transmissions.

I sure would like to see a picture of the setup. Please respond in lower case. Thanks in advance. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

Hvy shocks and a Rr sway bar (& frt) should cure the 58' woes.
        But a Flair-Bird Convert? Myself, I'd rather have that.
        If (when) I get another Sq/Bird, it'll be a 59 . . . HT, Convt, I don't care.
        430 pref, but I don't care.

As far as driving, a 64-6 beats a 58-60 all day long.
        The 390's that come in those are a little lathargic, but that can be fixed and still (look) stock.

My .02

That and 2.98 will get you coffee (@ Dennys)

Comment

• Coral
          Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Hey Jack, if you would like me to post a couple of pictures of the engine on that 58 black bird just let me know... we should be able to sort out the size...

Found the sale on ebay : 220547039872
          Last edited by Coral; January 29, 2010, 09:38 AM. Reason: added last line....

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

She is a great looking '58!!

That is def. a Ford big block "FE" engine. Some EXPORT Birds had the 2-brl 352cid engines?? But I see nothing on the VIN plate to indicate this car was a export version.

On a side note, those exhaust tips look funny tilted out to the side like they are now....

-Jon ib TX.
            sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Originally posted by jackbird60
              HI ALL!

Good to be back again, for good. Had a 60 bird with a sunroof, sold it and had big regrets after doing it. ...i saw this beautiful 58 black bird on ebay in floridar recently painted just 3 years ago, only driven 20 miles in last 3 years.

Many important components including new crate 352 engine and repaired heads
              John, thanks for the edit, and; Jack, It's great to see your enthusiasm for your new bird. She sounds like a beauty. Regarding the 2bbl carb, since you say it was a new crate 352, wonder if a new intake and carb were bolted on when the new engine was dropped in. Anxiously awaiting for you to post a few pics of the car and of the engine/carb set up.

Comment

• JohnG
                John
                • Jul 28 2003

The intake manifold should have a date code cast into it and relatively visible...
                1958 Hardtop
                #8452 TBird Registry
                http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                history:
                http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• RustyNCa
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 31 2007

Could the motor could be a FE truck 360 with a two barrel intake someone dropped in there? I think that is what I have in my 59.

Looks a bit better than mine though....

I didn't know you can get a crate 352 motor?

Looks pretty nice, the bottom edge of the front bumper is bent up pretty good. And I agree with Jon those mufflers and exhaust tips don't look right. Get the mufflers tucked up in there and the pipes done straight out, like Stanley did my exhaust....

Here is my very fine example for ya....

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 30 2009

wow. nice car for the money. no doubt about it....
                    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Anders
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
                      wow. nice car for the money. no doubt about it....
                      Yes, have to agree!
                      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• jackbird60
                        Experienced
                        • Nov 28 2008

Hi Everyone thanks for the replies ! I went down to Florida before I laid down the rest of the money, but after reviewing I said no to the car.

Maybe I should have said yes, but he couldn't keep the car idling no matter what. Now I know that could be many small problems but you would think if its small, that would have been taking care of.

Yes, once I saw the exhaust i wasn't real pleased about that but not enough to give up, but other things didn't look right besides the 2 bbl thing, which could mean the engine could be anything. It was leaking oil somewhere between the head & the manifold, not really sure. I guessing it was a fast put together. Also, anytime he turn the wheel when driving in the parking lot, the front wheel was pulsing back and forth on the turns. Looked bad!!!! Missing components for power seat, which he didn't even mentioned it had. Manual would have been fine, but it had no switch and who knows about the seat motor.

but really the engine couldn't sustain an idle. He try like 25 times. My guess is and he did say, he bought and engine (352) off of ebay. But who really knows what it is.

If you're going to replace the engine, why would you put on the same crappy 2 barrel intake manifold and bad carb?? doesn't make sense!!!

also it had a small exhaust manifold leak.

You can see I had a lot of questions that I couldn't answer on this car. Also he said he repainted about 3 years ago, from bare metal, and the paint was good for the most part but a lot of retouched up spots and a few blisters. HOW CAN THAT BE FOR A CAR JUST PAINTED 3 YEARS AGO AND ONLY DRIVEN 29 MILES A YEAR in a warm climate and garaged!!!

THE DASH PAD HAD SOME RIPS BY THE RADIO AND QUITE A FEW WRINKLES AND SCRATCHES BY THE PASSENGER DOORS SIDE, AGAIN, THAT WOULDN'T DISCOURAGE BUT LOOKS LIKE AN BAD INSTALL.

ALSO, I DID ASK HIM BEFORE I CLICK BUY NOW IF THE CAR IDLED FINE, AND HE SAID YES. GUESS NOT.

SO BACK TO THE HUNT!!

JACK

Comment

• jackbird60
                          Experienced
                          • Nov 28 2008

Also, I Have 2 To 3 Pictures Of That Engine But Not Sure How To Post That Info. Someone Tells Me, I'll Do It.

Ths- Jack

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Back Home To The Squarebird - Eng Question

I have sent Jack a Private Message (PM) telling him how to upload pictures...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Hey Jack,
                              She don't sound to bad for a car almost fifty years old!
                              I'm almost fifty and have some of the same symptoms
                              Richard D. Hord

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎