X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stubbie
    Experienced
    • Jul 7 2011

Airconditioning

The aircon system in my 64 Tbird has been disconnected for sometime. The hoses were cut by the po and I do not know what does and doesn't work. I was going to replace the compressor, condenser and drier with new. Because it has been out of service for a long period is it necessary to pull the evaporator for service. I was thinking of using a Vintage Air Gen 2 cool, heat, defrost box.

Cheers
  • HighwayThunder
    Experienced
    • Nov 19 2013

Have you compared the Vintage system with Classic Auto Air's. The CAA system is designed to specifically fit the 64-66 T-birds and uses the car's original controls.

However, since my car was not originally AC'd they have you install 3 Mustang-type round dash vents. Don't know if you can use your original horizontal T-bird dash vents.

The CAA compressor support bracketing is heavy and a tad complex to assemble, but does provide solid support.

Otherwise, fit is good save for a couple of minor design errors (1 aluminum tube was 1" too long) and several installation instruction errors/omissions. But their tech support reps will work with you to correct those.

(This is not a plug for CAA, just some comparison info.)

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Richard

PS...Just curious, is it at all difficult to get US parts shipped to Perth?
    Richard, '66 Thunderbird Hardtop, 390FE, Edelbrock Al heads, Comp cam, Street Demon 650 carb. Visit my restoration blog at hwythunder.com.

Comment

• stubbie
      Experienced
      • Jul 7 2011

Thanks Richard. Its not difficult to get the parts delivered it's the cost. Perth is known to be the most isolated capital city in Australia. I have been looking at the CAA but unfortunately it's not available in Australia. It would make it a whole lot easier if it was. I would have to buy it from the US and the exchange rate at the moment is dynamite. I'm adding a third to the cost of everything bought from their at the moment. I can get the Vintage Air Gen 2 evap box from here for $950AUS. I think the CAA evap box is around $900US plus post probably $150. So that would make it about $1465AUS just for the box alone then I would need the bracket for the Sanden Compressor $93AUS. The rest I can get from here. As you can see it starts to get expensive. Cheers

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

Are you able to use your original plenum? I just replaced mine with a kit and not happy with the result.

Comment

• stubbie
          Experienced
          • Jul 7 2011

Steve I'm not sure what sort of condition the evaporator is in. It has been open for some time so it will have to come out to see what state it is in.

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

I'm sure it's rough, but you could have it rebuilt locally, along with the condenser. Replace all the vacuum motors and hoses and use your original plenum. Then replace the OEM pump with a modern sanden style.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎