X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dgs
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 13 2003

Vintage Custom '59s By Bo Sandberg

I came across a picture of a highly custom Squarebird on Tumblr the other day (oddly, on a vintage trailer blog). So custom, it was hard to recognize as a Squarebird.

I did some digging and discovered that it began life as a '59 and was built by a guy named Bo Sandberg in Sweden in 1965. It's named Wild Bird, more info on it here, including build pictures. The roll hoop was made from the roof and the panel over the rear seats was made from a second deck lid.

Here are a couple more images:

It was evidently shipped to the US. I wonder if it's still around today.

He had also built another more mild custom '59 convertible before called the Surfin Bird. It was built between 1961 & 1964. It features a custom toneau over the rear seats, 1960 style tailights, smoothed doors and a custom grille.

The most radical touch, however, were the Imperial like headlights.

This one evidently survives, and was seen as recently as 2003 at a car show in Sweden, although it now wears a '60 grille insert and the door spears have returned.

I don't remember seeing those here anywhere, and a site search for "Sandberg" came up empty.

The caption of this image says "The Deejays GTA version of Bo's Thunderbird at the 1968 SPR."
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YellowRose; January 3, 2015, 05:57 PM. Reason: Downsized pic to 800x600
    DGS (aka salguod)
    1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
    www.salguod.net
  • Anders
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 19 2008

That bird was called "Wildbird" and was original painted in white with a blue and red stripe. Itīs in the hand of a close friend of mine, who lives about 1/2 hour from me, so it have never been in US for sure. He have 2 other Squarebirds as well. One cab and one HT with "mild modifications" incl. air ride. I have showed some pics from his HT on "Kiethīs" thread "59 build". The text about "Deejays" is to my understanding because a English Pop group with the name of DeeJays rented it for some promotional work.
    sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• dgs
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 13 2003

Very cool! Is it still in good shape? I'd love to see pics of it now.

The article I linked to said that it had been shipped to the US, but didn't have any more info on it.
      DGS (aka salguod)
      www.salguod.net

Comment

• Anders
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 19 2008

No. Itīs need a lot of work, but the plan is to bring it back to itīs past glory. It was so poorly done, so major work is required. But itīs in very good hands.
        sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• dgs
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 13 2003

Very cool, please keep us posted!
          DGS (aka salguod)
          www.salguod.net

Comment

• Dan Leavens