No announcement yet.

351 windsor in a 58.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

351 windsor in a 58.

Hi all, after discovering that rebuilding a fe in oz is a very expensive exercise I've decided to purchase a fresh 351w/C4 combo of a friend.
    Now few questions, is there anyone over in the US who does engine mounts and cross member, is there headers available for this swap etc.
    Basically chasing as much information as possible before I get right into it.
    Thanks Chris.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

The 351W is a small block Ford (SBF), basically a Mustang engine. Ford made millions of them. They were used in F-series trucks and a host of other applications. So, you can get front sump or rear sump oil pans off the shelf.

Folks here have swapped many Mustang engines into FE cars. The last one I saw was a 5.0L into a '57 Fairlane (same mounts as your T-bird). The 351W will need to raise about one inch off of your mounts. There is plenty of room.

5.0L and 351W are slightly different in that the 351W has 1/2" more stroke. Just about all the 'final dress' brackets, pumps, pulleys, etc., swap directly and are readily available. The 351W uses slightly longer exhaust headers because the deck height is taller (for the longer stroke). They use the same 'H' pipe.

I think Fatman has hardware for this swap. I know it's been done countless times with great success. Search the net.

A better transmission would be the AOD because you can use a low rear end gear. The Overdrive compensates for the low gear. An EFI roller cam 351W with aluminum Edelbrock heads can deliver 400HP on 93 octane unleaded gas. Add a Paxton or Vortech supercharger and enjoy another 30% more, straight out the box. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

I've been searching the net but with very little success. Who is fatman, does he have a website.
      I'll be sticking with the c4 as its built to handle the engine, which is up around the 500 hp mark. Pipes will be another thing to source, would something like an early mustang pipe work.
      Thanks.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

fordpowertrain.com might have some headers that will work. They are spendy, but very very nicely made.
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by chris58
          ...Who is fatman, does he have a website...
          http://www.fatmanfabrications.co/
          They are in North Carolina. You should shoot them an email.
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

Chris:
            I posted some pictures of Johnny's car where he installed a 351W with headers and a AOD electronic transmission. If you send me a private message, I can give you contact info so you can talk or email for info. Here are some links to the pics I already posted:

I believe John made the rear transmission mount bracket, but I'm not 100% sure of that.
            Nyles

Comment

Thanks guys, I've had a look at fatman website, by the looks of it he's mor 55-57 tbirds but I'll shoot them an email.
              Tbird1044 I've sent you a pm, them pics also help, thanks. The more information the better.
              Cheers Chris.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎